Edgar M. Eagan
Edgar Michael Eagan was born February 26, 1902, at Republic, Missouri, the fourth child of Michael and Lauina Bacon Eagan. The paternal grandparents came to the United States from the County of Mayo, Ireland, and landed at Charleston, South Carolina, in 1856. It was during the period of westward migration and the young couple, twenty years of age, left Charleston immediately for St. Louis. The paternal grandfather, Patrick Eagan, received his first employment from the contractor who was building the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad Company, which had started in St. Louis, July 4, 1851.
Patrick Eagan worked with the original crew in the construction of the Southwest Branch of the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad toward Springfield, Missouri. After the line had been built as far as Brush Creek, west of Lebanon, Mr. Eagan resigned and took up a homestead near Dixon, where his family was to be reared. At this location he founded the Eagan Catholic Church, at Frank’s Switch, east of Dixon. Near the church is the Eagan graveyard in which Patrick, Mary, his wife, and son William are buried. Patrick and Mary had five sons and two daughters: John, Thomas, William, Michael, James, Bridgett and Maria.
Michael, at the age of twenty-one, accepted a position with the Frisco Railroad on January 15, 1890, and was sent to Springfield, Missouri. In 1891 he became a foreman for the road, and was transferred to Republic where he made his home. He was associated with the company for forty-five years and retired in 1937.
The maternal ancestors are of English origin. The branch of the Bacon family from which Lauina descended was one of the early settlers in Hungary, County of Lunenburg, Virginia. The earliest trace of the family is one Nathaniel Bacon. He married Ann Miller, who was the mother by him of Nathaniel, Jr., Hannah, Andrew, Thomas, Mary, Abigail and Lydil. Lydil’s grandson, Lydil Parks Bacon, was the father of Richard, a captain under George Washington in the Revolutionary War, and Richard was the father of Washington Bacon, who was the father of Lydil Parks, the father of Lauina.
Lydil P. Bacon (Lauina’s father) married Cumi Chrisman who was the mother by him of Spotswood, James, Small, Laurina, Pairolee and Pairodine. Lauina was born September 12, 1878, near Pineville, Missouri, in McDonald County. The family was traveling from Dixon to Venita, Oklahoma, at the time of her birth. Later they resumed their Missouri residence at Dixon where Lauina married Michael Eagan on April 11, 1895. Lauina was fatally stricken with pneumonia, November 21, 1918. All six children survived their mother: Patrick, Small, Merle, Edgar, Mable and Pairolee.
William Wadsworth Bacon, a brother of Richard and son of Lydil P., was a captain under Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans. At Mobile, upon the 25th anniversary of the bttle, his company presented him with a gold headed cane for distinguished services.
Washington Bacon, the son of Richard, was born November 8, 1799, the year of the death of George Washington. He was born in Luenenburg County, Virginia, and moved to Madison County, Alabama at the age of seventeen. He became deeply concerned over the subject of religion in his youth. Richard Bacon, his father, withdrew from the church of England, while Washington was yet a boy. He joined with the Baptists who were being persecuted for their faith and practices. Washington became one of the first ministers of the Christian Church and, as an itinerate preacher, assisted in the founding of many of the Christian Churches in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. He died April 15, 1887.
Edgar M. Eagan was educated in public schools. The degree of Bachelor of Arts was conferred upon him in 1927 by the Southwest Missouri State Teachers College at Springfield, Missouri. He and Mrs. Eagan then taught one year at Ellington, Missouri, before entering the study of law at the University of Iowa. After three years in graduate work, the degree of Juris Doctors was conferred upon him.
He was admitted to the practice of the law in Iowa in 1933. The same year he returned to Missouri and was admitted to the Missouri Bar and accepted an appointment as attorney for the Federal Land Bank of St. Louis, Missouri.
In July, 1934, he was appointed Executive Secretary of the Bi-Partisan Advisory Board, charged with the responsibility of spending in excess of fifteen million dollars in the rebuilding of the penal and eleemosynary institutions of the state. Mr. Eagan was a member of the bar of Iowa; the Missouri bar; a member of the Omicron fraternity, a national forensic society.
He was married to Beulah Fay Shields, June 5, 1927. Mrs. Eagan was the daughter of Cobe B. Shields of Springfield, Missouri. Her paternal great-grandfather, George Shields, was an early settler of Bloomington, Indiana. Thomas Shields, son of George, moved to Wright County, Missouri, in 1880 and brought his wife Mary Aliza and children: Cobe B., Kurg, Reese, Maude and Effie. They made their home near Hartville on a farm where the family continued to reside until the death of the father, Thomas, in 1913.
Cobe B. Shields was born July 30, 1876, on a farm near Bloomington, Indiana. He lived with his parents until he was married January 17, 1894, to Minnie Todd. The young couple continued to reside on an adjoining farm until 1900 at which time Mr. Shields purchased a general store and became a merchant in Seymour, Missouri. In 1908 he was elected as sheriff of Webster County and moved to Marshfield, Missouri.
His wife, Minnie Todd, was the daughter of Alexander Newton and Julia Todd. Alexander Newton Todd was born in Wright County, Missouri, in March 1850. They had seven children: Minnie, Edgar, Mary, Newton, Docia, Hosie and Ila. Minnie was born January 30, 1878 on a farm near Hartville.
Cobe B. and Minnie Shields had four children: Earl, Eulah, Beulah Fay and Goldie Jean. Beulah Fay Shields, wife of Edgar M. Eagan, received a Bachelor of Science degree from Southwest Missouri State Teachers College at Springfield, Missouri in 1928. In 1938 they lived at 308 Broadway.
H. C. Easton
The family of Henry Clay Easton occupied a distinguished place in Missouri history. Rufus Easton, founder of the family in Missouri, was born at Litchfield, Connecticut, May 4, 1774, and came to St. Louis in 1804. Some called him the “greatest lawyer of territorial Missouri”. Rufus Easton was one of the three judges who governed the territory of Louisiana after its purchase by the United States. He was the first United States Postmaster of the village of St. Louis, drawing a salary of sixty dollars a year for his services. He was territorial delegate to congress from Missouri territory for four years, from 1814. He also served as United States Attorney and was from 1821 to 1826 Attorney General of Missouri. He founded the city of Alton, Illinois in 1817, naming it for one of his sons, and naming a street for each of his children.
The founder of the Easton family in America was Joseph Easton, who was born in England in 1602 and who in 1633 or 1634 came to America and settled at Newtowne, now Cambridge, Massachusetts. His descendants continued to live in New England until Rufus Easton immigrated to Missouri.
Rufus Easton, who was the great-grandfather of H. C. Easton, married Alby Abial Smith and they reared a large family. He died in St. Charles, July 5, 1834, and is buried on the campus of Lindenwood College which was founded in 1827 by his daughter, Mrs. Mary Sibley, whose husband was in charge of the management of the Indians in this territory. One of the sons of Rufus Easton became a brigadier general.
Henry Clay Easton, grandfather of H. C. Easton and son of Rufus Easton, was named for his father’s friend, the famous Kentucky statesman. He was the youngest of the eleven children of Rufus Easton, born at St. Charles in 1826. Henry Clay Easton married Mary Lucretia Blair. Their son Rufus, born in 1852 was the father of H. C. Easton. Both father and son were interested in railroading. Rufus Easton was killed in a railroad accident at Warrenton, and is buried beside his grandfather at Lindenwood College.
The wife of Rufus Easton was Sarah Chaffee, member of an old Boone County family. They had two sons, one of whom, John Donaldson Easton, enlisted in the ranks in World War I, rose from the ranks to become Lieutenant Colonel in the U. S. regular army. Their other son, H. C. Easton, was a well known Jefferson City business man. For some years he was engaged in construction work in various parts of the United States. He was a businessman in this city, interested in building and loan, real estate, collections, investments, etc.
Judge E. L. Edwards
In February 1835, he was licensed to practice law and the same year was elected Clerk of the Circuit and County Courts. In 1837 he was elected Brigadier General of the First Brigade, 6th Division of the Missouri Militia, but resigned the position a few weeks later. In 1838 he established the Jefferson Enquirer, a Democratic paper, but suspended the publication at the close of the campaign in 1840 on account of lack of patronage.
In 1841 he was appointed Circuit Attorney of the 14th Judicial District, which he resigned soon after and entered into the practice of the legal profession. In 1846 he was elected to the State Legislature and two years later to the Senate. He retired from practice in 1858 and removed to his farm in the Osage Valley, 16 miles east of the city. He returned to the city in 1860 and became the Editor-in-Chief of the Examiner, of which he held for one year, again retiring to his farm. In 1863, he returned to practice law and in 1874 was elected to the Legislature. He was also elected in May 1879 as Judge and remained until December 31, 1892.
In 1840 he married Ann Ivy Dixon, daughter of Warren Dixon of North Carolina. Of the living children, born to this union, John W. was a farmer, Joseph R. was an attorney in Jefferson City and Sallie E. stayed living with her mother. Judge E.L. Edwards made his home at 801 East High Street and passed away on September 1, 1894.
J. H. Edwards
He was united in marriage to Mary M. Carter, daughter of James E. Carter, former owner of the Tribune and served as mayor for several terms. Three children were born to this marriage: Roxana, Carter and Harry. They made their home at 116A East High Street.
Hon. J.R. Edwards
Hon. Joseph Richard Edwards was born in Jefferson City on August 11, 1847, son of Judge E.L. Edwards. He received his education at Missouri State University where he continued through his junior year. He discontinued due to ill health and began to read law in the office of his father and in 1869 was admitted to the bar. He served the city many years as Assistant Attorney and one term (1872-1873) as Attorney. From 1873-1879 he was the Prosecuting Attorney for Cole County and in 1875 was Alderman from the First Ward. In 1883 he was elected Mayor and then in 1892 was elected to the Legislature on the Democratic ticket, serving until 1895.
He was married to Mary B. Jefferson on May 9, 1871, her father being Robert R. Jefferson of Jefferson City. They had two children: Ethel and William J., who became a law partner with his father, having been admitted to the bar in 1896. Hon. J.R. Edwards made his home at 316 East High Street.
316 East High Street
Mrs. M.V. Edwards
Her parents were James Selby and Laura Yerby Plattenburg, natives of Virginia and early settlers of Dover, Lafayette Co., Missouri. Ms. MV Edwards was educated in the private school of Rev. James Chaney. She eloped with Major John N. Edwards, formerly with the Kansas City Times, on March 28, 1871. This marriage was rejected by the family due to their close family relationship. They were married at the residence of General Joseph O. Shelby, near Aullville in Lafayette County. Three children were born to this marriage, John, James and Laura. They made their home at the McCarty House.
The McCarty House
G. R. Elliott
G. R. Elliott came to Jefferson City about 1901. In 1904 he began to work for the Missouri Pacific Railroad and became a conductor in 1912 and was treasurer of his union. Mr. Elliott was born in Indiana, July 22, 1879, where his mother died when he was about three months old. His father, Robert Elliott, who was also a conductor on the Missouri Pacific, died at Pleasant Hill in 1921 at the age of sixty-nine.
December 24, 1904, Mr. Elliott was married to Miss Katie Turner of Linn, Missouri, daughter of J. E. and Jennie Wood Turner, natives of Osage County. Mrs. Elliott’s father died in June 1931, her mother in June 1936. J.E. Turner was the son of Richard Turner who was born in Manchester, England, and Jane Tracy Turner who was born near London. They emigrated to Missouri in 1850. Mrs. Elliott’s mother was the daughter of John and Catherine Carey Woods, Missouri pioneers, and was born 1863. The Woods family was of Virginia ancestry. John Woods who was a member of the Home Guards during the Civil War, was robbed and murdered near the close of the war, leaving three small children.
Mr. and Mrs. Elliott had three sons and two daughters. Harry Francis, born April 24, 1906, was in the sign business in Jefferson City. He married Flossie Gunn of Barnett, June 27, 1931. Their children were Richard Gunn, born September 21, 1933, and Hazel born February 14, 1935. Raymond George, Born August 20, 1909, married Dorothy Wood. He held a bachelor’s degree from the state teachers’ college at Kirksville, and taught in the Webb City schools. Virginia Mildred, born October 17, 1912, had a B.S. degree from the state teachers’ college at Warrensburg and taught at Bismarck, Missouri. Russell Irving, born September 18, 1915, attended school at the teachers’ college at Kirksville. Prior to entering college he served a four-year enlistment in the navy and was one of the crew of the ship representing the United States in attendance at the coronation of King George of England. Sara Louise graduated from Jefferson City High School in 1938 and attended school at the Junior College. The Elliott family was members of the Methodist Church.
For three years before her marriage, Mrs. Elliott was a teacher in the rural schools of Osage County. After marriage, civic and club activities occupied much of her time. She was a member of the Eastern Star, treasurer of the Women’s Benefit Association, secretary of the Degree of Honor Association, president of the ladies auxiliary to the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, president of the Women’s Democratic Club, and a member of the state board of Missouri Association for Social Welfare.
Arthur W. Ellis
Arthur W. Ellis, a native of Grand County, Indiana, came to Jefferson City in 1934. The establishment Arthur W. Ellis, Incorporated, was originally in retail business only, selling tires, batteries and automobile accessories. It expanded to include a wholesale trade covering a 50 mile radius of Jefferson City.
Mr. Ellis was reared in Grant County and at Richmond, Indiana, where he attended high school and college and where he lived until after his marriage. He taught for three years, but the major portion of his life was devoted to selling. He sold insurance and other lines and was an executive with Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, being branch manager in various cities including Louisville, St. Louis and New York City.
Arthur W. Ellis was married to Miss Mary Jane Hollingsworth, June 5, 1907. Mrs. Ellis was a native of Indiana, the daughter of Clinton and Anna Hollingsworth. Mrs. Ellis was also of Quaker ancestry, her family coming from North Carolina.
Mr. Ellis was born March 20, 1883, the son of Elwood O. and Ida Hussey Ellis, both natives of Clinton County, Ohio, who met and married in Grant County, Indiana. Elwood O. Ellis was a teacher and minister, born in 1857, died December 25, 1920. He was the son of James M. Ellis who was the son of Robert Ellis, a native of Pennsylvania. The founder of the Ellis family in America was Mordacai Ellis of Wales who came to America with William Penn in 1682. The site of the old Ellis home is now occupied by Bryn Mawr College. Mr. Ellis was active in the Chamber of Commerce, the Lions Club and the Presbyterian Church.
James Ellis’ education was in the neighboring district school at Ashland, Missouri and once grown to manhood, he rented a home near the place of his birth and engaged in farming. He continued farming until 1873 when he improved a piece of land one mile south of Ashland, which had been given to his wife by her father. He ran the farm until 1892 when he moved to Jefferson City and was employed by the State Prison until 1897, when he started working at the grocer merchant of Ellis and Son, of which he later became the senior member of the company.
He married Margaret Z. Ruffner, on September 14, 1871, daughter of Peter J. and Zeralda (Wiseman) Ruffner. To this union two children were born: Clarence and Nellie. They made their home at 121 West McCarty.
Judge George R. Ellison
George Robb Ellison, judge of the supreme court of the state, was born at Canton, Missouri, July 22, 1881, the son of William C. and Laura Lucas Ellison. His paternal grandparents were James and Martha Cowgill Ellison, the latter a native of Kentucky, the former born in Ireland and coming to Brown County, Ohio with his parents when four years old. The family moved to Clark County about 1825. Here James Ellison was married. He studied law, and practiced that profession in Canton for a number of years. He was state senator and circuit judge.
William Cowgill Ellison, also a lawyer, was born October 1, 1852. He graduated at Christian University, Canton, studied law in St. Louis and located for practice in Nodaway County. He was circuit judge of the fourth judicial circuit from 1903 to 1918, and held other positions of responsibility.
The greater part of Judge George Robb Ellison’s early life was spent at Maryville. He attended public school there, graduated from St. Paul’s Preparatory School at Garden City, Long Island in 1900, and in 1904 from Harvard. Returning to Maryville, he studied law, was admitted to the bar, and devoted his time exclusively to the practice of his profession until in 1927 he became a commissioner of the state supreme court. In 1930 he was elected judge of the Supreme Court, for a term expiring December 31, 1940. From 1907 to 1927 Judge Ellison was a member of the widely known law firm of Shinabarger, Blagg & Ellison.
Mr. Elston’s ancestors on his father’s side immigrated from Wales, settling in New Jersey in the early part of the 19th century, soon after moving to Virginia in 1820. They immigrated to Missouri in 1828, settling first in Boone County and then ten years later to Cole County. His mother, Jane C. Smith came to Missouri from Ohio in 1844, her parents being English.
426 East Main Street
Rev. W.A. Ely
Rev. Wesley A. Ely was born in Atlanta in 1854. At the age of nine, he was taken in charge by Col. Joseph Wilcox, an officer in the US Army, who took him to his home in Syracuse, NY where the wife of the distinguished man took an interest in the promising lad and gave him all the advantages of an education. At the age of 14 he was sent to Oswego, NY for schooling and then to Fulton Academy at the age of 17. He then returned to Oswego and attended two years at the State Normal.
He engaged in teaching, first in Raleigh, NC where he was principal of the colored high school and then after two years, left to attend Madison University at Madison, NY, where he graduated in 1879. He then attended Drew, a theological college of the ME Church, where he graduated four years later, in 1884. He preached first in Athica, NY and continued there for three years where he moved on to Syracuse and then on to Rochester, following small stints in Saratoga Springs and Atlantic City and Louisville, he moved to Jefferson City. The year was 1899. He became pastor of the A.M.E. Church Zion. While in Utica, NY he married Marie Carle.
Champ Emmel was born on a farm near Rhineland, MO; he attended a country school, but early in life his ambitions took him into commercial pursuits. He secured a job with the pipe factory at Boonville and for several years he was on the road for that company, traveling over a greater part of the United States as well as countries in South America.
Mr. Emmel was married in 1925 to Miss Mabel Haas of Boonville. He had three children by his first wife. After her death he married Ellen Doyle of Boonville.
Mr. Emmel was an active Democrat. He was a personal friend of Arthur Nelson of Boonville who ran for Governor on the Democrat ticket against Sam A. Baker. Emmel worked on Nelson’s campaign, traveling over the state, and was pleased when Mr. Nelson received the Democratic nomination. Following the election, Mr. Emmel went into the money lending business, representing several agencies in this area.
Dr. I. N. Enloe
Dr. Enloe obtained his early education in the neighboring schools and the Clarksburg Select School. He graduated from the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis in 1883, locating in St. Thomas where he engaged in the practice of his profession until 1889, when he sold the business to his brother, Dr. John S. Enloe.
He left for NY City, taking a post-graduate course in the Polyclinic Hospital School of Medicine. He located to Jefferson City in March, 1890 where he continued his profession. In 1895 he took another course at the Polyclinic Hospital School of Medicine.
He was united in marriage to Rebecca J. Short on October 12, 1886, daughter of John A. Short of Russellville. Seven children were born to this union: Loyce, Ada, David, Justin, Robert, Roscoe and John, who died in infancy in 1898. Dr. Enloe ran for Republican representative in 1888 and 1894 but was defeated both years. He was President of the Pension Board of Examining Surgeons and on the Board of Education of Jefferson City for nine years. He made his home at 320 East High Street.
Newton Thomas Enloe, M.D. & son Newton Thomas Jr.
His first hospital, was a small five bedroom home, which he built with his own hands of scrap lumber. He treated lumberjacks of the camp for a fee of $1.00 per month. The lumber company provided board for himself, his 2 year old son Newton, Jr. and his 16 year old sister Emma. He worked for the Sierra Lumber Company for six years, and it was through them that he went to California in 1901. He worked as chief surgeon for the lumber company, which sold out to the Diamond Match Company. In 1907 he left for Chico and began his general practice clinic and then in 1913 he began to build a fine hospital, which opened September of the same year, located on Flume Street. It is called the Enloe Hospital and is still in use today. The hospital has grown from a small thirty-eight bed facility to a 391-bed state-of-the-art hospital, now called the Enloe Medical Center. With seven locations throughout the Chico area, it serves over 400,000 residents in a six county region, which also includes a Flightcare Helicopter Program.
Dr. Enloe and his efforts in organizing and building up his hospital was recognized by the State Board of Health and placed his training school on the accredited list of training schools for nurses in January of 1917. He served for a time as President of the Chico Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of the Board of Education when Chico High School was built, and was a member of the American College of Surgeons as well as the American Medical Association. He also volunteered for service in the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States Army in June of 1918 and was commissioned as Captain on June 28th and then assigned to active duty on July 13th at the Letterman General Hospital in San Francisco.
Newton first married Emma E. Leslie on November, 14, 1895. No children were born to this marriage. He then married Winnie Herrick on December 28, 1897. One child was born to this marriage, Newton Thomas Enloe, Jr. After divorcing Winnie, he moved to California where he married Isabell Manfield. He then married Dorothy Schram. To this marriage 3 children were born: Thomas Schram, Nancy Adell, and Ida Marie.
Dr. N.T. Enloe passed away in the hospital he built on December 21, 1954, at the age of 82. He had been in critical condition since suffering from a heart attack the week prior. Funeral services were held at the Bidwell Memorial Presbyterian Church and burial is in the family plot of Chico Cemetery. Dr. Enloe will long be remembered by the community of Chico for his contributions that made this town a more stable place to live.
John G. Engelbrecht
John G. Engelbrecht, active in improving rural conditions in Cole County, was born on a Cole County farm in 1877. He was a charter member of the Cole County farm bureau, and served as chairman from 1930 to 1036. He devoted considerable time to furthering the federal government’s soil conservation program in Cole County.
Mr Engelbrecht was the son of Christ Engelbrecht whose parents, John A. and Margaretta Engelbrecht, came to Cole County in 1852 when Christ was seven years old and located on a farm three miles south of Wardsville. There Christ Engelbrecht lived until his death in 1917. He married Barbara Popp, a native of Jefferson City, daughter of George and Margaret Popp who came to Cole County before the Civi8l War in which George Popp served as a member of the Home Guards.
In 1900 Mr. Engelbrecht was married to Miss Emma Klindt, daughter of John and Fredericka Klindt, of pioneer families of Miller County. Mr. and Mrs. Engelbrecht had two sons and one daughter. Harold assisted in management of the farm. Ernest was associated with Harry Blackwell, Inc., in Jefferson City. Edna was the wife of Dr. Dale Summers, Jefferson City optometrist.
In 1916 Mr. Engelbrecht bought an unimproved tract of two hundred acres on the Wardsville Road, about two and a half miles southeast of Jefferson City. He built a home and made other improvements, and through a practical, scientific method of operation, made it one of the most desirable farms of its size in the county. The property was listed as a Century Farm in June 2005.
Dr. G. Ettmueller
Dr. Ettmueller immigrated to America in 1868, practicing the first six months in New York City then moved to Marysville, Kansas. He stayed there one year moving to Hermann, Missouri in 1870. He practiced in Hermann until moving to Jefferson City in 1894. He was in private practice and was city physician for Jefferson City.
Gen. H. Clay Ewing
General Henry Clay Ewing was born August 15, 1828 in Jefferson City where he grew to manhood; his early education was in the public schools. He studied law under his father, Judge Robert A. Ewing. His mother was Jane Ramsey, daughter of General Jonathan Ramsey, one of the early pioneers of Missouri, immigrating in 1817 from Kentucky.
In 1852 Henry Clay was admitted to the bar practicing with the firm of Ewing and Smith. He organized and was President of the Exchange Bank. He was Attorney General of Missouri during Governor Woodson’s term as well as represented Cole County in the State Legislature one term and was a commissioner of the Supreme Court of the state.
Mr. Ewing united in marriage to Georgia Chiles on December 12, 1855, daughter of Walter G. and Emily A. Chiles of Glasgow, Missouri. Mrs. Ewing was a niece of General Sterling (Pap) Price. He and his wife made their home at 117 West High Street.
Henry Watkins Ewing was born in Richmond, Ray County, Missouri on July 4, 1849 and was educated in the public schools of St. Louis, where he graduated from high school with the highest honors of his class. He later attended Missouri State University at Columbia, graduating Valedictorian in 1872, also receiving the Orator’s Medal.
He completed the law course at Columbia and was admitted to practice and in 1873 was elected Clerk of the Supreme Court. He stayed in this position 18 years and in 1884 purchased a controlling interest in the Tribune Printing Company and became its Editor and President of the daily and weekly Tribune. He continued until his death at Battle Creek, Michigan, (of which he had gone two weeks) on September 1, 1898.
His father was Judge E.B. Ewing, Secretary of State, Attorney General, Circuit Court Judge and twice a Supreme Court Judge. His mother, Elizabeth Allen Ewing, was a sister of Governor Henry Allen Watkins of Louisiana, for whom he was named. His wife was Mattie V. Chappell of Jefferson City. Four children were born to this marriage: Mary, Dorothy, Clay and Jack, all of whom moved to Kansas City after the death of their father.