Judge J. B. Gantt
He was elected Judge of the 22nd Judicial Circuit of Missouri in November 1880, serving 6 years, returning to his practice in Clinton. In 1890 he was elected as Chief Justice and Presiding Judge of the Supreme Court of Missouri.
He was united in marriage on April 23, 1872 to Alice Warth, who died August 8, 1889. To this marriage four children were born. He remarried Matilda (Weidemeyer) Lee on July 23, 1891. They made their home at 111 East McCarty Street.
J. E. Garman
While attending the Democratic County Convention in Jefferson City in 1892 for the purpose of nominating county officials, he was urged by the delegates to accept the party’s nomination to the office of public administrator, and he was elected to that position. He was re-elected to a second term and in 1900 was nominated to the office of County Assessor.
He was married on December 27, 1870 to Miss Mary Douglas, whose parents had recently moved to the area from Ohio. She died one year later and on December 24, 1872 he was married to Miss Eliza Plummer, the daughter of a farmer near Elston. They had a daughter, Minnie E., who was married on May 24, 1896, to Mr. George Crump, a farmer near Olean, Miller County. His second wife died five years later. On June 24, 1884 he married Miss Rachel Plummer, sister of his second wife. They had a son, Martin W., born in 1886.
Mr. Garman with his wife and son, lived with a brother-in-law on East Water Street but continued to own and operate his farm He was a Master Mason and an active member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, serving as elder.
H. A. Gass
He resigned to devote full time to his publication, The Missouri School Journal, which he bought in 1887. The journal was recognized as the organ of the school teachers and was more influential in the educational field than any other like publication in the state. Through this medium, which circulated throughout the state, he was a potent factor in advancing the interests of the teachers, and the means of introducing in the Legislature many measures which materially helped the educational interests of Missouri.
Mr. Gass was united in marriage to Miss Alice Josephine, daughter of Judge J. Shell, a prominent farmer of Audrain County, December 25, 1876. To this union were born two children: Miss Alma, a talented musician, and Howard Ray, a civil engineer who worked for the Pittsburg & Gulf Railway Company and was living in Texarkana, Texas in 1900.
Mr. Gass was a member of the First Baptist Church, serving as Moderator and Superintendent of the Sunday school. He was for many years a trustee, and was one of the Building Committee who pushed forward to completion the new building project.
He was a Mason, member of the Blue Lodge, Royal Arch Chapter and Commandery. He was a Democrat and an active worker in that political organization. The family resided at 319 East High Street.
Henry E. Gensky
Henry E. Gensky was born in Hanover, Germany, March 3, 1890. At the age of fourteen years he came to America with an uncle and worked for a year on a farm near Concordia. He then worked for two years in a Sedalia restaurant. In 1907 he came to Jefferson City where he spent the remainder of his life. At first he worked in the Jefferson Hotel. In 1915 he went into the grocery business for himself, and at the time of his death had been twenty-one years at the same location on the corner of Cherry and Miller streets.
Henry Gensky’s life was a constant struggle against what seemed overwhelming handicaps. Against odds he faced with courage, a quiet confidence, and indefatigable industry that enabled him to win the battle against poverty but he succumbed to two years struggle against bad health, dying on July 27, 1937. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. At the time of his death he was serving his second term as a member of the school board.
April 10, 1917, Mr. Gensky married Miss Stella Schmidli, a native of this city; they had two children, Ruth and Henry Edward Jr. Mr. Gensky’s parents were William and Katherine Angelbeck Gensky, farmers.
Mrs. Gensky was a daughter of Joe and Elizabeth Walz Schmidli. Her mother was the daughter of Carl and Margaret Meister Walz. Mr. Schmidli was of Swiss descent, the son of Peter and Sophia Schmidli who lived in Carthage. Joe Schmidli was born in Jefferson City in 1868, where his father had come at the close of the Civil War. In early life he was in the dairy business but later became a contractor. He laid the first concrete walk in Jefferson City. In one year he built fifty-seven homes, and a total of about 750 homes in Jefferson City. He learned the bricklayer’s trade in 1890. He used to haul sand across the Missouri River on the ice.
Other children of Mr. and Mrs. Schmidli were Mrs. Edna Manes, Mrs. Del Brummet, Mrs. Frances Jobe, and Miss Florence, all of Jefferson City.
I. M. George
He engaged in farming on his own account near his birthplace until 1884, when he was elected to the office of Assessor of Moniteau County, on the ticket which elected Cleveland, the first Democratic President after the Civil War. At that time he moved to Clarksburg, three years later returning to his farm which he sold in 1892, and purchased the Judge Short farm, one-half mile west of Russellville.
He was one of the organizers of the Russellville Exchange Bank, and the first Assistant Cashier. He resigned this position but was re-elected in December, 1899.
His wife was Miss Sarah C., daughter of John A. Short of Russellville. They had a family of five boys (Charles, Edwin, John L., Robert M., Harlin) and three girls (Sarah E., Laura, Maggie). They were members of the Presbyterian Church.
Dr. F. W. Gillham
Frank Willard Gillham was born at Brighton, Macoupin County, Illinois, July 11, 1876. He received his education in the public schools of that city, and at the Westrn Normal College at Bushnell, Illnois, which he attended for four years. His medical education was received at the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri, located in St. Louis, Missouri, graduating from there in 1899. Following graduation he practiced at Chicago, Illinois for eight years, locating at Jefferson City, Missouri in 1909. He was a member of the Methodist Church and the Masonic Lodge. Also a member of the Cole County Medical Society, Missouri State Medical Association and the A.M.A.
His forebears were among the earliest settlers. His great-grandfather together with his three brothers located in Illinois at the present site of Granite City, in the year 1801. His father was born at this place in the year 1832, and died in 1917. His mother, whose maiden name was Martha Price, was born in the state of Ohio in 1832 and died in 1913. Dr. Gillham was married to Susan Mae Jenkins in 1913. Mrs. Gillham was born in St. Louis, Missouri, a descendant of Joseph T. Jenkins, who was born in Loudon County, Virginia and Maggie E. Sadler Jenkins, born in Aberdern, Mississippi. They had one child, Margaret Ann Gillham, born May 3, 1916. She graduated from the University of Missouri class of 1938.
Dr. Gillham practiced medicine in Jefferson City and from 1922 to 1929 he was physician in charge of the Missouri State Penitentiary.
Robert E. Glover
Robert E. Glover was the grandson of Peter G. Glover, former Register of Lands, State Auditor, and State Treasurer. He was born on the site of the old Glover’s Mill, owned by his uncle, Robert V. Glover, the first water mill in Cole County built in 1856.
eter Glover was born in Virginia in 1792. He married Martha Mosely in 1814, moved to Callaway County which he represented in the legislature, and afterwards moved to Cole County, where he lived when elected to various state offices. At the time of his death he was considered the logical choice for governor at the next election.P
Dr. W. S. Glover, father of Robert Glover and tenth of the eleven children of Peter Glover, was born July 11, 1832. He attended Mount Sterling Institute, Kentucky, and Missouri University, and graduated in medicine from the old Missouri Medical College, St. Louis. He was married December 22, 1858, to Miss Margaret Lavenia Evington, a native of Indiana, born December 22, 1836. During the Civil War Doctor Glover was a surgeon in the Confederate army and served under General Sterling Price. He died in Jefferson City in 1912. Doctor and Mrs. W.S. Glover had seven children: Robert E. of this city; Mrs. Sallie Bolton of Nevada; Mrs. J. Ed Wells of Jefferson City; Mrs. Lulu Virginia Berry, Jefferson City; Walter K. Glover, Carthage; Mrs. Mary Helen Laux, Los Angeles.
Robert Glover followed farming for several years, then became a tie contractor with the late George C. Ramsey. In 1902 he became connected with the Giesecke-D’Oench Shoe Company where he remained until 1907 when he bought the East End Shoe Store at Ash and High Streets, which he conducted until 1919. Two years later, with Ed Wells, he formed the Glover-Wells Oil Company, wholesale dealers, with which he remained until 1928.
In 1907 Robert E. Glover was married to Miss Olive Gilleland of a pioneer Miller County family. Mrs. Glover, born at Olean November 12, 1879, was the daughter of William and Matilda Gilleland. William Gilleland was also born at Olean, February 4, 1837, on land entered from the government by his father. He was a farmer and fruit grower. He enlisted in Company D, 5th M.S.M. Cavalry on February 19, 1892, and served three years and three months. November 5, 1857, he was married to Miss Matilda Starling who was born in Tennessee, October 10, 1841 and died December 16, 1902. Ten children were born to them, two dying in infancy.
Mrs. Glover’s paternal grandfather, Samuel Gilleland, came to Missouri from Kentucky in 1828 when a young man, bringing his wife, Mary Wellborn. The Gillelands were of Scotch, the Welborns of English ancestry. Samuel Gilleland and wife reared a large family. He gave the land on which the Olean cemetery is located. He died in 1884 at the age of eighty-two, she in 1873. Mary Welborn’s father was a Baptist minister in Indiana, and most of Mrs. Glover’s ancestors were Baptists. Her paternal grandfather, Thomas Day Starling, married Elizabeth Bryan. He was from Baltimore, going thence to Tennessee, then to Missouri where he settled at Olean and reared a large family. His father was an English merchant-ship owner.
Robert L. Goff
Robert L. Goff was born in Osage City, Cole County October 14, 1910. He was the son of Louis and Sophia Hoffman Goff, natives of Cole County. Louis Goff was the son of Katherine and Louis Goff, Cole County pioneers of English descent and natives of Pennsylvania. The older Louis Goff died when his son was a child and the son later assisted his mother in operating a store at Osage City until her death, after which he conducted the business until his own death in 1923 at the age of fifty.
Louis Goff married Sophia, the daughter of Elizabeth Schaefer and Herman Hofmann. They had four children, two of whom were living in 1938—Robert L. and Louise, the wife of C. C. Case of Jefferson City. Mrs. Hofmann came to this country from Germany when she was seventeen. She died in 1926 at the age of sixty-seven. Henry Hofmann died in 1918 at the age of sixty-eight. Following the death of Louis Goff, Mrs. Goff married Herman Krueger in 1929. Mr. Krueger died the same year.
Robert L. Goff was married in Paducah, Kentucky on January 21, 1933, to Dorothy Louise Langkop. Mrs. Goff was the daughter of Manie Smith Langkop and Herman A. Langkop. She was born at California, Missouri, May 2, 1913. Her father, Herman A. Langkop, a native of Cooper County, had stores in Cole County beginning in 1913. He was a son of Phillipine Kopp Langkop and Henry W. Langkop, natives of Hanover, Germanym, who came to Missouri in the 1850s. Henry Langkop fought in the Union Army during the Civil War and later went west with General Custer’s army in Indian wars.
Herman A. Langkop was married in 1906 to Manie Smith of Bunceton, Missouri, the eldest daughter of Augusta Brandes Smith and Chris T. Smith, prominent Cooper countians. Augusta Brandes Smith was born in Greymouth, New Zealand, the daughter of a German musician and band leader who toured Europe with his band in the 1840s and 1850s. Her mother, Sarah Wilshire Brandes, was a member of an old English family. Chris T. Smith, a retired farmer of Bunceton, was a member of a family which was identified with the pioneer and civic life in Cooper County. He was a leader in adoption of improved methods of agriculture and his exhibits won hundreds of awards at state and other fairs in various parts of the country. His mother was Margaret Dornhouser, his father Nicholas Smith. Herman and Manie Smith Langkop were the parents of four children: Thelma, a former teacher in the Jefferson City schools who married C. E. Hartley; Earl was superintendent of the Missouri camp for unemployables at Springfield; Eugene, salesman for the Tweedie Footwear Corporation in the southern states, married Uldine Utley, the famous evangelist; Dorothy married Robert L. Goff.
Robert L. Goff was in the grocery business since childhood, assisting his mother in the store conducted by his father and grandfather. In 1933 he purchased the grocery business in Osage City of his father-in-law, Herman A. Langkop. Considering the county seat town of Linn in Osage County to offer wider opportunities, he established a grocery business in that city but continued to live in Osage City. Mr. and Mrs. Goff were graduates of the Jefferson City High School and Mr. Goff was a graduate of a radio school in Washington, D.C. Before entering business for himself he was connected with the Harris-Goar Company of Kansas City in the radio department. Mr. and Mrs. Goff attended the Christian Science Church.
His public school training was in the white schools of Marshalltown, Iowa. His higher education was at Louisville, Kentucky State University, an all black school. He finished a classical theological course at the Western College, Macon, Mo., in 1897, which entitled him to the degree of B.D.
His pastorates included the churches at Waverly, Liberty, Stewartville, Plattsburg and Platt City, Mo. These churches were greatly improved under his administration during the last two and a half years. He worked as State missionary under the plan of co-operation, run by the American Home Mission Society (white), Southern Baptist Convention (white), State Board of Missions (white), and State Board (black), of this state.
He was united in marriage October 24, 1899, to Miss Mary E. McMahan, of Fulton, Mo., who was a graduate of Lincoln Institute. They lived at 507 Monroe Street. Rev. Goins was a member of the A. F & A. M.
In response to the call for volunteers for the Spanish War, he enlisted in Co. L. 2nd Missouri Volunteers. The company was located for some time at Albany, Ga., where they were mustered out March 8, 1899, his discharge being March 6. While stationed at Lexington, Ky., he was camp correspondent for the Lexington (Ky.) Leader, and also for the St. Louis Globe-Democrat.
Mr. Goldman’s education was acquired with a view to the study of law, in which he was engaged with the Hon. W.S. Pope, but he later gave up the legal profession, yielding to his taste for newspaper work. On returning from the war he was correspondent for the St. Louis Chronicle and the Kansas City Star until July of 1899 when he became assistant editor of the Daily and Weekly State Tribune. He became the proprietor and editor of this publication, employing ten printers and assistants. He also became president and treasurer of the Goldman Shoe and Clothing Company, and owner and manager of the Jefferson Theater.
He was a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and an active worker for the Democratic Party. He lived with his wife Edith and daughter Evelyn at 409 Lafayette Street.
The Goodall Family
Job Goodall, the father of the family known by that name, of Cole County, Missouri, was born March 20, 1797, in that part of the Massachusetts Territory now known as the State of Maine. He was the third son of Capt. Josiah Goodall (commander of a fishing schooner) and Rebecca Brooks Goodall. Josiah was the only son of Paul Goodall, a Methodist minister and a native of Scotland; his wife was a daughter of Joel Brooks, a Scotch Presbyterian minister.
Josiah, having lost his health, moved to Madison County, Va., in 1808, where Job grew to manhood. At the age of 16 Job with an elder brother, enlisted in the army (War of 1812). In the year 1826 Job Goodall moved to Jefferson City where he engaged in the grocery business. In April, 1827, he was united in marriage to Sarah McRoberts Embree, daughter of John and Frances Prewitt Embree, of Greenbrier County, Ky. The grandfather of Mrs Goodall (Joel Prewitt) was a soldier in the Revolutionary War.
In 1829 Job Goodall disposed of his business and moved to St. Louis, returning to Cole County in 1830 to engage in farming.
In 1831 he moved to Randolph County until 1849 when he returned to his old farm in Cole County. In 1850, fascinating stories of the discovery of gold carried him to California, from which he returned via Mexico in 1851. On August 1, 1856, he was murdered on his farm in Cole County in the middle of the day by unknown parties who were never apprehended.
John Embree Goodall
John Embree, the second son of Job Goodall, was born on a farm in Cole County December 13, 1830. He started to California with his father and died en route at the age of 20. Mary Ann Rebecca, born December 13, 1832, married James Gordon of Vernon County, Mo. and had ten children, eight of whom survived. Joel Brooks died in 1843 at the age of 8 years. Henry Clay was born in Randolph County, February 28, 1838. After traveling over and making his home for a short time in a number of the western states, he met an accidental death while engaged in mining in southeast Kansas, in June 1878. He was survived by a wife, son and daughter who moved to Leadville, Colorado. Daniel Webster died in 1843 at the age of 2 years.
William Washington Walker Goodall
William Washington Walker Goodall, born March 13, 1844, enlisted in the Confederate Army in July 1862, Company E., 10th Infantry, Missouri Volunteers, Parson’s Brigade, Price’s Division. He was made a prisoner at the battle of Helena, Ark., July 4, 1863. He was later exchanged at Richmond, Va., March 5, 1865. He was in the Siege of Mobile, April 1864, which was bombarded by the Federal fleet continuously, night and day, for two weeks. From here he made his escape when the city surrendered and returned home July 3, 1865 where he continued to live on the farm with his mother until her death, December 22, 1875. He was united in marriage to Sarah D., daughter of Thomas Handley, of Cole County, August, 1864. To this union were born five sons and three daughters, one of each whom died. He was later employed as a guard at the State Penitentiary in Jefferson City. He met with a painful accident while crossing the railroad track, April 15, 1890, and as a result was permanently crippled.
Winfield Scott Goodall & Zachary Taylor Goodall
Winfield Scott and Zachary Taylor Goodall (twins) were born in Randolph County June 30, 1847. Scott was assassinated February 16, 1870, on the streets of Jefferson City; the assassin was never brought to justice. Taylor was united in marriage December 22, 1870, to Nannie B., daughter of Thomas Mahan, a prominent farmer of Cole County. His tragic death on July 19, 1892, was the result of a fall from a railroad bridge. He was survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters. The eldest son went to work for the railroad in New Mexico; the second remained in Jefferson City; the youngest daughter was a teacher in the public schools of Cole County; the eldest married James H. Harrison and moved to Fulton, Callaway County, Mo.
John W. Gordon
He received his early education in the nearby district school and at the age of 19 years he attended school for one year at Warrensburg, Johnson County. During that time Price made his raid through Missouri and Mr. Gordon was arrested by mistake but afterward released through the influence of a friend. He had previously served in the State Militia and on his return home re-enlisted but served only a short time; he then returned home where he remained with his father until the latter’s death.
In 1867 he purchased the Central Flour Mill near Scruggs in Cole County, and ran it for two years, after which he sold it to George Rains.
In 1878 he began to handle stock very extensively, at that time getting his first contract with the state to furnish meat to the State Penitentiary at Jefferson City. The contract was renewed from year to year until near the time of his death. Mr. Gordon moved to Jefferson City in 1884 and engaged largely in the livestock business, not only in Cole County, but in Kansas City where he was a large buyer, selling to butchers and feeders. During a series of years he shipped about 150 car-loads (which amounted to $150,000) annually. Besides his stock interests he also did a large feed business, using as a storehouse his barn and sheds on the corner of Main and Harrison streets in the western part of the city.
Mr. Gordon was a member of the Masonic Lodge; took an active interest in politics, being a Democrat, and was a liberal supporter of every movement for the advancement of Jefferson City.
He was Married on November 23, 1864 to Miss Henrietta (Hattie) L. McMillan, daughter of Capt. T.H. McMillan, an early settler of Missouri and a captain in the Mexican War. In 1888 John and Hattie purchased a home on the corner of Main and Jackson Streets.
L. D. Gordon
Soon after this he worked on a farm in Callaway County for wages and for a few months worked at a saw mill. In 1872 he purchased a portion of the farm where he was born and reared and there continued successfully until 1886, when he rented and later sold his farm, and moved to Jefferson City. About a year previous to leaving the farm, he engaged in burning lime, his kiln being three miles east of the city. The very excellent quality of the product of his kiln resulted in a greatly increased trade. He continued to run his kiln three miles east of the city.
In 1888 he was elected a member of the City Council, serving two years. In 1892 he was elected to the School Board where he served for three years. He was made one of the board of regents of Lincoln Institute in 1897. In 1898 he received the nomination of the Democratic Party for the office of County Treasurer to which he was elected.
August 20, 1871, he was united in marriage to Sallie W., daughter of Robert Hord, a prominent farmer of Callaway County. The eldest child born to this union, Cora Alice, married Gerhardt Guenther of Jefferson City; Charles died at the age of 3; Minnie V. married Waller Bolton, Jr.; Stella May died at the age of 19 years; Norman A. worked for the L. S. Parker Shoe Company.
Mr. Gordon was a member of the M.E. Church (South) of Jefferson City where he served as steward. He was an A.O.U.W. and a member of the Macabees. He took an active interest in the advancement of Jefferson City, working toward the construction of the Missouri River Bridge and defeating the removal of the Capital from the city. He was a Democrat in politics. He resided at 1104 East McCarty.
Thorpe J. Gordon was born in Cole County September 29, 1891, of a pioneer family. His father was Charles Alexander Gordon, born in what was known as the Gordon neighborhood near Scruggs Station in Cole County, died May 24, 1937 at the age of eighty-two years, the last surviving member of his generation of the Gordon family. During his active years he owned and operated a farm in the Gordon settlement near the place of his birth. He moved to Jefferson City many years prior to his death.
Charles A. Gordon was the son of William James Gordon, a native of Virginia. His mother, whose maiden name was Eliza Noland, was a sister of Martin Noland, pioneer teacher and Baptist preacher of Cole County. Thorpe Gordon’s mother, whose maiden name was Georgia Ann Dickerson, was born October 22, 1864, in the old Gordon neighborhood. She was a school teacher prior to her marriage to Charle A. Gordon and died in Jefferson City December 21, 1920. Her father, Jacob Dickerson, died before her birth and she was reared by her uncle, George W. Rains, who conducted one of the largest flour mills in the county at Scruggs Station.
Thorpe J. Gordon began his career in the undertaking business in December 1910, when he was employed by the Walther-Wymore Furniture and Undertaking Company, which was owned by the late George W. Walther, and continued in that firm until 1927 when he established his own business as successor to that company. The building his company occupied was formerly the home of Major Winfield Scott Pope, a distinguished attorney of Jefferson City. This large old home was extensively remodeled as to have been virtually rebuilt around 1937.
Mr. Gordon was married to Miss Margie Irene Donaldson on December 22, 1937. Miss Donaldson’s home was in Montgomery City. She was the daughter of R. H. and Mary Donaldson.
Mr. Gordon served two terms as President of the Chamber of Commerce in 1936 and 1937. He was president of the Rotary Club and served two terms as commander of Roscoe Enloe Post Number 5, American Legion. In World War I he served overseas with Company B, 337th machine gun battalion. He was a member of the Methodist Church and of the board of stewards of that church. In 1937 he was elected a member of the Jefferson City School Board.
In 1885 he purchased a stock of general merchandise, in partnership with W.C. Hatler and John F. Kelly. They formed the firm of J. Grant & Co., and opened business in Russellville.
On July 3, 1873, Mr. Grant was married to Alice Morris, daughter of Jacob and Jane Morris who moved to Moniteau County from Pennsylvania. One daughter, Anna E., was born to this union and on May 13, 1891, she married Robert Short, a prominent farmer near Russellville. Their children were Mary, Florence, Clyde, Wade and Isaac.
Mr. Grant was a social member of the M.W.A. and a substantial and leading citizen of Russellville.
Mary Wisdom Grant
Her mother was Miss Anna Carpenter Hallack, a granddaughter of Station George Carpenter of Kentucky.
The early education of Mrs. Grant was in Huntsville. When she was 14 years of age her father suffered heavy financial losses and she opened a private school in his home for the purpose of securing means to aid in the completion of her education. She was later a student of the High School of St. Louis, after which she attended Christian College at Columbia, Mo. where she graduated valedictorian of her class. Her mother was a graduate of the same institution just twenty-five years before.
Mrs. Grant taught English and History in this college for several years, when she resigned to take charge of the Department of English in “Our Daughters’” College of Fulton, Mo. She married Frank P Grant, a prominent and successful business man, on August 19, 1891, at the home of her parents in Huntsville. Mr. and Mrs. Grant and their son, Barton Stone, lived in St. Louis.
She became state superintendent of Sunday School Work of the Christian Church of Missouri, the only woman in the city to occupy that position. At the time she was lecturer of the Sunday School Union and made a valuable contribution to all denominations of St. Louis.
Mr. Grant became a Director of Giesecke Boot and Shoe Manufacturing Company, and they moved to Jefferson City. Mrs. Grant continued her church work and contributed regularly to Sunday School Publications as well as lecturing to a wide audience across the state.
Allen P. Green
Allen Percival Green, industrial leader of Mexico Missouri, was a Jefferson City native who attained a commanding position in the Midwest business world. He was born here July 22, 1875, the son of Joseph and Eliza Green. He graduated from the School of Mines and Metallurgy of the University of Missouri (Rolla) in 1896, received the L.L.D. degree from Westminster College, Fulton, in 1933, and the degree of Doctor of Engineering from the Missouri University School of Mines and Metallurgy in 1935.
Mr. Green was married June 17, 1903, to Sara Josephine Brown of Sedalia. They had five children: Elizabeth C. who married Arthur D. Bond; Martha McHenry, wife of Walter Goodwin Stanley; Josephine who married Neal Shackleford Wood; Allen Percival, Jr. who married Rita LeBlanc; and Robert Stafford who married Susan Keays.
Mr. Green engaged in the general practice of civil and mining engineering from 1896 to 1901. In the latter year he became director and general sale manager of the Harbison-Walker Refractories Company of Pittsburgh, PA, a position he held until 1905 when he became vice-president of the Evans & Howard Fire Brick Company of St. Louis, remaining in that capacity until 1910. He became president of the A.P. Green Fire Brick Company of Mexico Missouri in 1910.
He was a Democrat, a Presbyterian and a Mason. He maintained homes in Mexico, Missouri and Miami Beach, Florida.
Mr. Green’s father was born at Troy, Lincoln County, Missouri in 1842 and died in Jefferson City in 1910. He was the son of James and Eliza Martin Green, born in Virginia in 1800. Mr. Green’s mother was born in Jefferson City in 1842 and died in Sedalia in 1894. She was the daughter of Judge Joseph E. McHenry of this city who was born in Tennessee in 1800 and Sidney Homans Edgar, born the same year in Potosi, Missouri.
J. H. Green
His first schooling was in a log school house in Troy, Prof. G.C. Broadhead being his first teacher. Mr. Green came of old Revolutionary stock, his grand father, George Green (1756-1853) was with Gen. Benedict Arnold in his memorable winter campaign north toward the Canadian border. He afterward held the rank of Major under General Morgan and received a severe saber cut in the head at the battle of “The Cow Pens.” He was a great friend and admirer of Gen. Washington, whom he followed to the grave—their plantations being about twenty-five miles apart. He was distantly related to Gen. Nathaniel Green, both coming from the same Shire in England. His mother was Miss Jane Martin of Culpepper County, Va. His grandfather, Hezekiah Martin, was also a Revolutionary soldier, serving in “Light Horse Harry” Lee’s Legion of Virginia Cavalry.
When the Civil War broke out, Joseph Green was teaching school in West Prairie, Lincoln County. (One of his students was Elisha Robinson who later became Circuit Judge in Northeast Missouri and a prominent railroad attorney in Kansas City.)
In 1861, on a Friday afternoon, he dismissed his school expecting to open the following Monday as usual. Borrowing a horse he rode to Troy. On his arrival he found Governor Jackson’s proclamation calling for troops. Although he was already enrolled as a member of Capt. Eppie Sydnor’s Company, he sent his horse back to its owner, and with about 700 others, under Capt. Broda Hull, Capt. George Carter and Capt. John Q. Burbridge of Pike Co., started for Jefferson City.
After two days’ march they reached the home of Gen. Jeff Jones in Callaway County, where, hearing of their approach, the whole neighborhood had gathered and prepared a feast for the troops. When they came to the Missouri River they were unable to cross, as Gen. Lyon had just fought the battle of Boonville and had the Missouri River guarded. The command, then under Gen. Tom Harris and Col. Burbridge, broke up into squads.
Young Green with his stepbrother, James Carter, worked their way south and on Sept. 3, 1861, joined Capt. Martin Burke’s Co. D., 1st Mo. Infantry at New Madrid, Mo. The intrepid John S. Bowen was Colonel, and was afterward Major-General. During the long and tragic conflict following, Mr. Green was in a number of the great battles between the North and South. He was wounded at the battle of Champion Hill and his step brother, James Carter, was killed at the same time.
He was discharged because of a disability, coming across the river where he was commissioned Colonel by Gen. Price and sent to Missouri to recruit. He was captured, and with Col. Burbridge, Gen. Jefferson Thomson and others taken to Gratiot Street Prison, then to Johnson Island and exchanged. After the surrender at the close of the war he went to Old Mexico.
On his return, he stopped at Rolla for a time with his brother, James A. Green. Coming to Jefferson City in 1867, he engaged in the fire insurance business as general agent for the Farmers’ and Merchants’ Insurance Co. After two years he became one of the promoters of the Life Association of American, in which he did a large business. He engaged in general real estate business at Sedalia for 20 years, 10 years of which was as a general land agent of the M.K. & T. Railroad. This connection resulted in his handling large tracts of land in the states of Kansas and Texas. Moving from Sedalia to Jefferson City in 1899, he continued to be involved in real estate.
He was united in marriage, May 6, 1868, to Miss Eliza, daughter of James B. McHenry of Jefferson City. Their children were Bessie who married Sidney J. Twyman of St. Joseph, Mo.; Mabel; Percy, a civil engineer in the employ of the U.S. Government and living in Louisville, Ky. When Eliza died, Joseph married her sister, Emma on January 14, 1896.
Mr. Green was a member of the Presbyterian Church, also of the Maccabees, and was Door-Keeper of the House—28th General Assembly (1875). He made his home at 215 Stewart Street, the old home of his father-in-law, the late J. B. McHenry.
A. P. Grimshaw
He accepted a position with the United States Express Company as messenger on the Missouri Pacific, between St. Louis and Atchison, Kansas. He served in that capacity for 18 years and was then made cashier of the United Stats Express office at Atchison. Resigning this position he was appointed assistant postmaster of Jefferson City under Capt. Steininger during President Harrison’s administration, serving one year.
He was elected County Clerk in 1884, to fill an unexpired term of two years, then re-elected in 1886 for a full term. He was appointed joint agent for the Pacific and United States Express Companies to succeed his father, Jonathan Grimshaw, in 1890, in connection with which he was ticket agent for the Chicago and Alton Railroad at Jefferson City.
In 1891 he was elected mayor of the city, serving two terms and after a four interval, elected to the office again. He was the first president of the Commercial Club of Jefferson City and was one of the leading spirits in its organization. He was the first superintendent of the Jefferson City Bridge and Transit Company, serving two years.
He was a mason, member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was an active member of the Grace Episcopal Church and served as treasurer.
Mr. Grimshaw was married September 20, 1870, in Huntsville, Ohio, to Miss Juliette, daughter of Kemp Goodlow Carter, a native of Richmond, Va. They made their residence at 816 East High Street. Their two sons, Kemp Goodlow and Arthur Perry, were owners and proprietors of the Grimshaw Brothers Grocery, 212 E. High Street, Jefferson City.