E. R. Hagan
His early education was in the public schools and following he engaged as a printer in the office of the Autogram, where he worked until 1887 when he moved to Jefferson City. He first worked at the Tribune, later on the Missouri School Journal, where he continued for seven years. He then helped establish the Capital City Journal and sold in 1900, accepting a position with the Cole County Democrat. He roomed at 207 Washington.
W. L Hager
William Lusk Hager was born in Wood County, Wisconsin, March 18, 1882. His father, Emile B. Hager, was a native of Allsace-Lorraine. He served as a Union soldier in the Civil War, and died when William Hager was nine years old. His mother, whose maiden name was Abigail O’Brien was a native of Queenstown, Ireland. She came to this country at the age of fourteen, settling in Wisconsin, where she met and married her husband. Following his death she came to Jefferson City where she resided for many years. She died in St. Louis on June 16, 1938, where she had been making her home with a daughter. She was eighty-nine years old at the time of her passing.
Mr. Hager went to work for Exchange National Bank at the age of sixteen, starting as a collector in 1898. He became successively, bookkeeper, teller, assistant cashier, and in 1932 became vice-president and trust officer. Prior to his connection with the bank he was a clerk in the office of the county recorder, Major William H. Lusk (see sketch). Mr. Hager’s father was a brother of Major Lusk’s wife and the relationship between this distinguished gentleman and his nephew was very close until the time of Major Lusk’s death.
Mr. Hager was married on July 7, 1908 to Miss Catherine Handley, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Handley. She died in 1917, and Mr. Hager later married Mrs. Elizabeth Hill, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Keane, who came to Jefferson City from Chicago, Illinois in the early 80s to make this city their home. James Keane died in 1915 and his widow, Mrs. Mary J. Keane became a member of Mr. Hager’s household as did James A. Hill, Mrs. Hager’s son by her former marriage.
In addition to his activities at the bank, Mr. Hager was director and treasurer of the Capital City Building & Loan Association. He was a director and treasurer of the Cole County Tuberculosis Society; a director of the local community chest, a member of the Knights of Columbus; and a member of the Republican Party. The family resided at 626 McCarty Street.
James L. Handley
James L. Handley was born in Stringtown, Cole County, in 1873. His parents were Thomas and Mary Gordon Handley. Thomas Handley, a farmer and a native of Ireland, died in 1885. Mrs. Mary Handley, the daughter of Abraham and Nellie Gordon, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, February 25, 1835. When she was a child her parents moved to Cole County. Here in 1861 she married Thomas Handley, and here she died in 1910, having been an invalid the last thirty years of her life.
Following the death of Thomas Handley his widow moved with her family to Jefferson City. When James Handley was a young man he learned the carpenter trade under Charles Salisch and worked as a carpenter for John T. Short, H. J. Wallau and others. About twenty-five years ago he went into business as a contractor. For a time he was in partnership with George Todd, Alexander Myers and Henry Sachs. When this partnership was dissolved he became a partner of Herbert Stake, ultimately working alone. Many of the best buildings in Jefferson City were of his construction.
Mr. Handley was for more than thirty years a member of the Modern Woodmen and for several years was one of the forester team with Joe Schleer and Tom Fisher as drillmasters. He dropped his membership in that order when a rate increase was adopted. As evidence that he was a woodman in the literal sense of the word, Missouri newspapers carried a story of his killing the first deer of the season, just east of the preserves of the Painted Rock Club of which he was a member. He was a member of the carpenters’ union, and of the Methodist Church. HE had two sisters, Mrs. W.W. Goodall of Jefferson City and Mrs. Charlie Gerye of Kansas City; and a brother, Charles, a carpenter living in Cedar City.
Mr. Handley was married in the late 1800s to Miss Carrie Gipfert, daughter of a well known German pioneer family. She had two brothers, Martin Gipfert of Jefferson City and Carl of St. Louis; and three sisters, Mrs. A.M. Burkel, Mrs. Jack Stochs and Mrs. Alex Myers, all of this city. Her mother died around 1933 at the age of ninety-two. Mrs. Handley was born August 27, 1878. She was a life long member of the Evangelical Church and lived her entire life in Jefferson City.
Mr. and Mrs. Handley had three children. Roy, a carpenter in this city, married Miss Gertrude Bishop. Sadie married Henry Buehrle and they had a daughter, Caroline. Ruth married Francis L. Faunce of Independence, Mo. and they had a daughter, Patsy Ruth.
Herman C. Hanszen
At the age of 19, Herman moved to Jefferson City where he worked as a clerk with the druggist, Dr. Nicholas DeWyl. He remained there for four years until he took a position as clerk with a dry goods company, where he remained six years. He then opened his own shoe merchant business of which he ran until his death, on August 11, 1896 in St. Louis. He had gone there to have surgery of cancer of the stomach.
Mr. Hanszen was married May 4, 1870 to Clara Weiss, daughter of Frederick and Julia Weiss of Jefferson City. Six children were born to this union: Alma, Lydia, Oscar, Eugene, Edna, and Harry. They made their home at 117 E. McCarty Street.
A. H. Hatch
In 1875 he took two optician courses and then after a fire destroyed his watch making business he moved to Windsor, Illinois, operating jewelry and optical business for 14 years. In 1890 he sold his business and traveled one year with the Peoria Optical Co. as a refractionist. He then moved to Mt. Carmel, Ill and had his own practice until moving to Jefferson City in 1895. He opened his own business at 132 East High Street.
Dr. Hatch was united in marriage to Julia Carny of Gibson City, Ill., on March 1, 1876. To this union two daughters, Alice and Gertrude, were born. The family lived at 110 West Miller Street.
S. J. Hawken
In 1897 he bought the New Haven “News Notes”, a weekly paper which he sold one year later, moving to Chamois. There he established the “Head Light” plant which he sold in 1899, to become manager of the Cedar City Chronicle. In November he became editor and publisher of the “Reporter” of the same place. He married March 6, 1889 to Dena Schorer in Dundee, Franklin County. They had two sons and one daughter.
A. L. Hawkins
Alfred L. Hawkins was the son Judge Thomas W. and Anna Belle Newland Hawkins. He was born in Hannibal, November 6, 1873. Judge Thomas W. Hawkins was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, August 29, 1829, studied law at Transylvania University, and after his marriage located at Hannibal. At the outbreak of the Civil War he was editor of the South & West, a newspaper which advocated the Confederate cause. For the publication of his sentiments he was held in prison in St. Louis for the greater portion of the war. During his long residence in Hannibal he held various city and county offices, including probate judge, presiding judge of the county court, circuit clerk, representative, and mayor of the city of Hannibal.
A. L. Hawkins at the age of seventeen became deputy circuit clerk and recorder of Marion County. He came to Jefferson City to serve in the department of the secretary of state under A.A. Lesseur and remained during the tenure of office of Sam B. Cook. From 1905 to 1933 he served in an executive capacity with the Graham Paper Company, organizing the Midland Printing Company in the latter year. This company did the official printing for the state of Missouri and served a large clientele throughout the Midwest.
In 1926 Mr. Hawkins was married to Mrs. Helen Hume Harr of Kahoka. Scott Hawkins, a son by a former marriage, lost his life in January 1938 by a fall from an airplane into the Pacific Ocean. He was a naval aviation cadet attached to the U.S.S. Chicago. (Editor's Note - It is reported by family members that Mr. A.L. Hawkins previous marriage was to a Miss Winnie Pope.)
R. W. Hedrick
Robert Wesley Hedrick, better known to Jefferson City and to political and Masonic circles of Missouri as Bob Hedrick, was born at Ottumwa, Iowa, January 22, 1882. In 1907 he came to Cole Camp, Benton County, Missouri, where he lived until 1921, when he moved to Jefferson City. An attorney by profession, Mr. Hedrick devoted his time to the practice of law on coming to Missouri. He was a Republican in politics and represented Benton County in the state legislature in the sessions of 1915 and 1917. In May, 1922, he became secretary of the Missouri Telephone Association.
Mr. Hewdrick came from a pioneer Iowa family which was prominent in the civic and military history of that state. His father, John Wesley Hedrick, was born at Dahlonega, Wapello County, Iowa in 1854 and died in 1934, spending his entire life as a resident of Ottumwa. His mother, Janet Mills Hedrick, was born near Edinburgh Scotland, July 28, 1855.
On December 21, 1911, Mr. Hedrick married Emily A. Tietjen, who was reared in Benton County. Their daughter, Mary Margaret married Frank M. Pollard of Ottumwa. Their son, Robert W. Jr. attended the Missouri State University.
Mr. Hedrick was Grand Master of the Royal and Select Master Masons of Missouri for 1935 and 1936. A student of public affairs and experienced in party politics, he was one of the leaders of his party in the state.
He went to Germany visiting the Vienna exposition and upon returning opened business on his own account in the City Hotel building. Here he continued to do a prosperous and growing business for ten years. As his increasing trade demanded more commodious quarters to accommodate the enlarged stock, needed he purchased the property and opened his store on the corner High and Madison.
J. F. Heinrichs
On return to Jefferson City after completing his education, he assisted his father who was engaged in the business of furniture and undertaking. He was later associated in the business and became the owner in 1979 when the location was on the corner of Jefferson and Main streets. From there he moved to one of the store rooms under Bragg Hall at the corner of Monroe and High streets. In 1897 the business was moved to 207-209 East Main.
He was united in marriage May 13, 1873, to Miss Mildred Blair, daughter of Judge Milo Blair of Boonville. To this union were born six children, four boys and two girls, one of each died in infancy. Surviving were Milo, Charles, Claud and Agnes.
Mr. Heinrichs was a member of the Catholic Church, K of P., Elks, L.O.H. and A.O.U.W. In politics he was a Democrat. He was a Regent at Lincoln Institute and a member of the city school board for 12 years. He served as mayor of the city 1910-1911. He retired from business in 1914 and died in 1922. The family resided at 324 East Main Street.
Charles Pratt Heinrichs, who succeeded his father in the furniture and undertaking business in 1915, was married to Miss Emma McDaniel, a Christian minister and native of Virginia. Following his own retirement from active business in 1934, Mr. and Mrs. Heinrichs lived in Westphalia.
John F. Heinrichs, second John F. Heinrichs in the undertaking business in Jefferson City and the fourth consecutive generation of the Heinrichs family in that business here, is the son of Charles Pratt and the grandson of John F. Heinrichs. He was born August 24, 1910 and became head of the family business in 1934. Following his graduation from high school he attended an embalming school at Cincinnati. The furniture business was discontinued and Mr. Heinrichs conducted a modern funeral home. He was married in July, 1932, to Miss Bernadine Ossman, a native of Joliet, Illinois, daughter of Frank and Hildegarde Weber Ossman.
Thomas Heisler was born in St. Thomas, in Cole County. He resided there until 1894 when he moved to Jefferson City. Having had youthful experience as a contractor and builder, he followed that profession in Jefferson City. He had good skills as a builder and it was not long before he had all the work he could do and in the expansion of the city he contributed his part. He built many private residences in the city and perhaps the first apartment house, a four unit building, promoted by Julius Conrath on McCarty Street between Madison and Monroe. He also built the Masonic Temple at the corner of High and Jefferson in 1908.
Mr. Heisler was married at St. Thomas to Miss Teresa Gerling February 16, 1886, and the couple made their home at McCarty and Broadway—228 McCarty Street. They had two sons, John and Quentin. John lived in Chicago and Quentin practiced dentistry in Jefferson City. Their daughters were Zita; Agnes (Mrs. Barton); Hilda (Mrs. Redmond) of Decatur, Ill.; Elizabeth (Mrs Swigert) of Dallas, Texas; Margaret (Mrs Foley) of Kansas City; and Lucille (Mrs. Johnson) of Detroit; and Rosalind. Mrs. Heisler died in 1931.
Father Ferdinand Helias
The German immigrants desired to preserve their traditions and customs even though in a strange new land. The descendants of these German pioneers have continued the same beliefs, attitudes and customs into our present day.
When Father Helias arrived in Osage County, he decided a new church should be built upriver a short distance from where an old log building was standing. They called their new community New Westphalia, later shortened to Westphalia. Father Helias named the log church and parish for St. Joseph and it was designated as the Jesuit headquarters for central Missouri.
It was from this Maries River town that Father Helias, with a missionary zeal, ventured out and founded six additional parishes including Taos, Reich Bonn (Rich Fountain), Loose Creek, St. Peters at Jefferson City, St. Thomas and Cedron. An offshoot of the additional parishes has been established throughout the last century in the counties of Maries, Miller, Osage, Cole and Callaway.
His life story is a fascinating adventure. Born Ferdinand Bonoit Marie Gusilan Helias D’Huddinghen on Aug 3, 1797, Father Helias was a native of French Flanders (Belgium). He was born in the same house where Emperor Charles V was born and he grew up in the town of Ghent, which was predominantly Flemish-Catholics; the language was Flemish/Dutch. Father Helias was not only a Jesuit priest, but he also served as an ex-soldier and was considered to be a man of wealth. These qualities produced an outstanding pioneer missionary for the American wilderness. It was said his superiors were happy to send him off to America because they felt he was too wild and energetic for any European cloister.
Before coming to the Maries River country in the northern Ozarks, he served as priest to a band of German immigrants on St. Louis’ north side, where he organized St. Joseph’s Church. He made periodic missionary visits to the Catholic families along the Missouri River and its tributaries. He traveled by horseback seeking out and visiting the scattered Catholic folk.
He would stay for a few days at each settlement, then venture further in search of more of his flock. He was as rugged a pioneer as the people he served. In his travels, it was not uncommon for him to sleep outdoors wrapped in buffalo robes. He braved fevers, the cholera epidemic of 1853, and the near-drowning in a river of himself and his boatman. During the Civil War, he was accused of harboring Confederate spies and he also endured many attacks from some “Latin farmers” who plagued him throughout his ministry.
Father Helias was a man of personal wealth before becoming a priest and it was with this wealth that he helped to build many churches throughout his territory. He remained in Westphalia until 1842. At that time, he experienced some difficulties with his parishioners, so he returned to St. Louis for a short while. In the autumn of the same year, he returned to his missionary duties and moved his residence to Taos, a small community in Cole County.
In 1848, Father Helias made a trip back to Westphalia to bless the cornerstone of the new stone church that was to be built. Today, the church is a historic landmark in its “old world” setting majestically standing atop a hill overlooking the green valley of the Maries River below.
In 1838, when he first arrived in the region, one of the first jobs Father Helias undertook was enumerating a census for the Catholic settlements. It was difficult to translate his writings because he wrote the census in a combination of Latin, Old French, Flemish and a little German. Almost 170 years later, some of the family names he recorded in 1838 can still be found in the various parishes. He was also the first man to minister to the spiritual needs of the inmates of Missouri’s state prison in Jefferson City.
Father Helias died at age 78 on August 11, 1874, at Taos, poor and alone at his simple country rectory. He died with little more than the clothes he wore on his back with no attending physician and no relatives to give him comfort in his last hour of life. It was 78 years and eight days since he was born into a wealthy, noble Flemish family that he died alone in a simple log house on the plains of our northern Ozarks.
On the shrine/tomb of Father Helias, located inside Taos’ St. Francis Xavier Church, are the following words…. “Flanders was my cradle; France instructed me; Italy, Germany and Switzerland sheltered me. After many ventures and labors on land and sea, God settled me in Missouri. The foundations of Westphalia were laid by me and seven churches were founded by me to the greater glory of God.”
It seems fitting that this pioneer priest, who was instrumental in establishing important parishes in central Missouri, should remain in the land he served so well. In his twilight years, he was given the opportunity to return to his native Belgium, but he refused. He loved his new land and its people and wished to live out his remaining years in our beautiful Ozark Plateau country. He was certainly a true and honored Missourian.
“Window to the Past” 2006
By Peggy Smith Hake
J. J. Henderson
He married Nettie Donnell, a Tennessee native, whose parents moved to Cole County in 1861. They had four sons, Bert, Duke, Roxie and Frank and three daughters, Lula Bessie and Nellie. The family resided at 403 Monroe Street.
Rev. John Fenton Hendy
John Hendy’s early education was in the neighboring schools; at the age of twenty he entered Centre College of Danville, Kentucky and graduated in 1862. In the fall of the same year he entered the theological department of the University at Princeton, New Jersey, graduating in 1865. In 1864 he was licensed by the Presbytery at Augusta, KY and in 1865 he was ordained in the Second Church of Covington where he was a pastor for one year. He transferred from Covington to the churches of Crittenden and Lebanon in Grant County, KY where he spent two years.
In 1867 he responded to a call from Vincennes, Indiana where he served for five years. During his stay he was tendered the presidency of Vincennes University which he declined. In 1872 he transferred to Owensboro, KY where he was the spiritual advisor of the first Church for nine years during which time the enrollment trebled and the church was remodeled, enlarged and improved. During his ministry at this place he was in Europe for five months in 1880.
In 1881 he responded to a call to the pulpit of the First church of Emporia, Kansas where, in addition to the duties of pastor of the church, he was president of the New Presbyterian College, the exacting duties of which, one year later, required his resignation as pastor of the church. Here he remained ten years, and in addition to the duties of directing the educational affairs of the institution, he was its financial director. During his administration, magnificent buildings were erected at a cost of $90,000.
In 1892, because of failing health, he was determined to resign. He then made a second visit to Europe for the double purpose of recreation and study. On returning he was called to become President of the Presbyterian Female College of Oswego, Kansas. Here his three years’ stay resulted in many improvements and clearing a debt of $10,000. After a rest and third trip to Europe following his resignation from this college, he accepted the position of pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Jefferson City.
On December 5, 1865, he was united in marriage to Nannie, daughter of John Allen McClure, a prominent farmer and planter of Grant County, KY. To this union was born three children. William Rankin, the eldest, a graduate of Harvard, was a prominent and successful surgeon in Chicago. The second child spent two years in Europe in the completion of her education and became the wife of G. F. Swezey, a prominent and rising young minister. Edwin M. became state veterinary surgeon of Missouri and made his home with the family at 306 East Dunklin in Jefferson City.
Jesse W. Henry
Jesse W. Henry was born near Fayette, July 16, 1854. During the Civil War the family moved to Independence, Missouri, thence to Jacksonville, Illinois where they remained until the war was over. They moved to Macon where they lived for twelve years, until 1877. That year the family moved to Jefferson City, Mr. Henry’s father, John W. Henry, having been elected judge of the supreme court of the state in the 1876 election.
John W. Henry, of Kentucky and Virginia ancestry, graduated in law from the University of Virginia. He became an attorney of distinction before his ten years service on the Supreme Court of the state, practicing at Fayette, Boonville and other cities. He also served as the first state school superintendent. He married Maria Ridley Williams of a family of Howard County pioneers of Kentucky ancestry. Judge Henry died in 1892 at the age of seventy-eight.
Jesse W. Henry served as state librarian for three years, following his coming to Jefferson City in 1877. Resigning, he bought the grocery business located on Madison Street that had been owned by Chris Wagner and William Zuendt who were killed in a railroad wreck late in 1881. The landlord increased his rent to the unreasonably high figure of forty dollars a month and Mr. Henry moved his business to 630 East High Street where it remained to the late 1890s. He was elected director of the First National Bank, and within a few months was its president. He resigned to become treasurer of the Central Missouri Trust Company in association with Sam B. Cook. Five years later he resigned and became cashier of the Farmers and Merchants Bank where he worked for eleven years until his retirement.
Mr. Henry was married April 20, 1880 to Miss Kate Madison Davison at the old Doctor Davison home at Capital Avenue and Cherry Street. Mrs. Henry was a descendant of James Madison. Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Henry resided at 728 East Main Street. Kate died in 1925 leaving the following children: Donald D. Henry, state agent Commercial Insurance Co.; J. Porter Henry of the St. Louis law firm of Green, Henry & Green; Jesse Powell Henry of the St. Louis insurance firm Daniel & Henry; Jane Francis who married Richard Riefling of St. Louis. Mr. Henry was married in 1932 to Miss Thelma Garnett of Cole County, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Garnett.
Charles E. Hess
Charles E. Hess was born in Hanover Germany, April 30, 1839. He died in Jefferson City December 22, 1904. Mr. Hess was educated in St. Charles, Missouri and graduated in law at Harvard University. He served with the Union Army in the Civil War. Following the war he was employed by the Rolla General Merchandise Company, then was appointed registrar in bankruptcy by Judge Krekel of the U.S. Court in this city.
In June 1880, Mr. Hess married Ottilie Bruns, daughter of Dr. Bernard Bruns (see sketch). No children were born to this union. He became interested in ore refractory business in Colorado and in wholesale crockery business in Toledo, Ohio. He was made superintendent of the Jefferson City Light, Heat and Power Company, a merger of the gas company and the Wagner-Fisher Electric Company, and remained in that position until his death. Mr. Hess was keenly interested in civic affairs. He sponsored the Jefferson City Town Mutual Fire Insurance Company which operated for some twenty years. He served on the school board and was active in promoting the bridge over the Missouri River.
Miss Ottilit Bruns was born in this country April 23, 1851. She was educated in this city and St. Louis, teaching in St. Louis until her marriage. She was always keenly interested in education and in young people, many of whom she helped through school. She was fond of travel and traveled widely. Her career was handicapped by an accident in Egypt, from which she suffered for years. She was a member of the library board of this city. Mrs. Hess passed away July 19, 1934.
J. W. Heskett
He first taught school and then later managed his father’s large farm, later worked in the general mercantile business. In 1888 he purchased a farm 8 miles NW of Marshall and farmed until he took charge as Marshall of the post office in 1897. After only 5 months, he moved to Jefferson City and opened the New York Racket department store on Main Street.
He was married to Mollie Blosser and they had five children, two of whom died in infancy; those surviving were two girls, Allie and Annie and one boy, Harry. The family resided at 314 Monroe Street.
Arthur J. Hirst
Arthur J. Hirst moved to Jefferson City in 1920 and was president and manager of the Shryack-Hirst Wholesale Grocery Company. The trade territory of this major Jefferson City enterprise extended from fifty to one hundred miles in various directions from the city and included 8-10 counties. It was one of several whole groceries operating independently at various strategic locations in the state, but largely owned by the same group of individuals.
Mr Hirst was a native of Iowa, born at Keokuk, July 10, 1890, and reared and educated in that city. Prior to coming to Jefferson City he was a traveling salesman with headquarters at Macon, Missouri. In World War I he enlisted in the marines and served overseas. HE was active in the Chamber of Commerce, the American Legion and in Masonry as a member of the Shrine, Commandery, Chapter, Council and Blue Lodge.
Arthur J. Hirst was the son of James A. and Emma Hertlein Hirst. His father, a native of Keokuk, was born June 30, 1859, and died July 29, 1920. James A. Hirst was the son of James Hirst, born in Lancastershire, England, February 19, 1813, died April 27, 1892. James Hirst married Margaret Bond, born in Mancheaster, England, of Welsh descent, June jk10, 1816, died January 7, 1907. They emigrated to America about 1840.
Mr. Hirst’s mother, who made her home with him, was born March 24, 1860. She was the daughter of John Hertlein, a native of Bavaria, who was born August 17, 1824 and died June 21, 1899. John Hertlein married Marie Heinlein, born October 26, 1827, died April 24, 1884.
Mr. Hirst was married June 12, 1917, to Miss Grace Freuhling of Fort Madison, Iowa, born December 7, 1889. Mrs. Hirst died April 13, 1927, leaving two children; Grace Carolyn, born January 23, 1924 and Dorothy Louise, born April 4, 1927.
J. W. Hobbs
John Wilbourn Hobbs was born in St. Louis, Mo., April 7, 1896, the youngest of seven children of William Pulaski Hobbs and Laura Wilbourn Hobbs. Both of his parents were born in Scott County, Missouri, and were members of pioneer families of Missouri and Kentucky. His paternal grandfather was one of the earliest judges of southeast Missouri district. The Court House at Benton stands on the side of the old Wilbourn home, one of the first large homes built in Missouri. Both families were southern sympathizers and slave owners during the Civil War period and suffered the usual hardships of the period following the war.
Mr. Hobbs attended the St. Louis public schools and Washington University night school. He went to Chicago and spent several years with the Continental and American Can Co., in an executive position. While there he attended the night school of Northwestern University. He returned to St. Louis to enlist in the aviation corps in July 1917. He served throughout the war in the air service and was discharged from Carlstrom Field, Florida in May 1919.
He was in the industrial equipment business in St. Louis before coming to Jefferson City in 1923. He was engaged in the real estate business in this city. He promoted the Bella Vista Apartments, converted the old Monroe Hotel into a modern office building, developed the Oak Park subdivision and built up one of the largest real estate exchanges in central Missouri. He was secretary and treasurer of the Missouri Real Estate Association, and a member of the National Real Estate Board.
He was very interested in farming and developed an excellent herd of Guernsey cattle at his farm near Jefferson City. He and his wife spent their summers riding horse back daily and enjoying country life. He married Myrene Houchin in February 1923.
Edwin R. Hogg
Edwin R. Hogg was born October 16, 1863 in Hannibal, MO, attending the public schools until the age of 15 when he went to work in his father’s planning mill. At the age of 18 he went to western Kansas to take charge of a lumber yard and after six months he resigned, taking a position as a lumber salesman for the Kohn J. Cruikshank Co. of Hannibal. In March 1893 he moved to Jefferson City and purchased a lumber yard from J.L. Keown.
On January 16, 1895 he married Maude McHenry, daughter of James E. McHenry, in Jefferson City. They had two children, Edwin R. Jr. and Jack C. The family resided at 413 East Main.
He taught the district school at Tipton for one year and also worked for his uncle and father. He then engaged in the business of general merchandise where after two years he moved to Decatur. There he bought a general store which he continued for one and a half years, moving to Tipton where he worked in the lumber business. He sold in 1895 and purchased a lumber yard on Madison Street in Jefferson City. He opened branches in Versailles and Bunceton, later disposing of them by 1898. He became treasurer of the Bockrath Shoe Company and for many years was the director of Merchant’s Bank.
He married Sara Walther on May 29, 1877 with nine children being born to this marriage, Flora and Henry dying in infancy. The surviving children were: Otto, Leo, Edwin, Paul, George, Clara and Paula. They made their home at 111 E Main Street.
Otto Joseph Stanislaus Hoog
In 1859 he entered the St. Louis University, an educational institution in charge of the Fathers of the Society of Jesus. In September 1861, he entered the Theological Seminary at St. Francis, Wisconsin where he remained for four years before transferring to St. Louis Diocesan Seminary at Cape Girardeau, conducted by the Fathers of the congregation of the Mission.
Father Hoog was ordained in St. Louis by the Right Rev. Bishop Junker of Alton, Illinois, December 21, 1867. Soon after his ordination he was sent to Lexington, MO where he presided over the parish as pastor until transferred to Jefferson City to replace Rev. H. Meurs who died August 24, 1876.
From the day of his arrival, September 20, 1876, St. Peter’s parish made substantial progress, spiritually, intellectually and financially.
James Albert Houchin
James A. Houchin was reared on a farm. At Lincoln, Illinois he attended high school and Lincoln College, and took a two-year business course and graduated at the Gen City Business College at Quincy. With the recommendation of the latter institution he came to Jefferson City in 1891 as office man for the Charles L. Lewis Clothing Company. After four years with this concern he organized the Star Clothing Manufacturing Company which became one of the leading concerns of its kind in the United States. During the period when prison labor was sold to manufacturers, Mr. Houchin was one of the largest employers and thus paid many thousands of dollars to the state, his payroll to the state being more than a million dollars per year over a long period. At one time he conducted fifteen branch factories in various states.
Mr. Houchin acquired extensive realty interests in Jefferson City. He operated widely known stock farms in Cole, Callaway, Morgan and Pettis counties, becoming known as one of the leading breeders of fine saddle horses in America and was the owner of the famous stallion Astral King. He also developed a herd of fine Herefords. He was a member of the Methodist Church, and during his long residence in Jefferson City was a leader in all civic activities.
Attracted by the record of Joseph W. Folk in purifying conditions in St. Louis, Mr. Houchin exerted a powerful influence in securing Folk’s nomination and election as governor. He contributed freely of his own funds, was president of the state organization of Folk for Governor Club and made a state-wide speaking tour. After Folk’s election, however, the two differed on the method of prison management, Houchin advocating a more liberal policy. From that time to the end of his life Mr. Houchin was influential in Democratic politics. He died December 14, 1933.
In 1893 Mr. Houchin was married to Miss Mollie Clark, daughter of Benjamin and Isabelle Sone Clark, both members of pioneer families. Mr. Clark was a Confederate Veteran and for nearly fifty years an official at the state prison. Mrs. Houchin died in 1924, leaving a daughter, Myrene, who became the wife of J. W. Hobbs of Jefferson City. Mr. and Mrs. Houchin lived at 611 East Main Street.
George W. Hough
George W. Hough was born in Loudon County, VA on April 17, 1808 and was married to Mary C, Shawen at Waterford, VA on March 24, 1833. His early ancestor was John Hough, who moved from Bucks County, PA to Louden Co., VA about 1750, where he married Sarah Janney. John Hough was a grandson of Richard Hough who came from Cheshire, England to PA under the auspices of William Penn on the ship "Endeavor" land in Philadelphia in 1638.
In 1837, George Hough moved to St. Louis Co. MO. In 1838 he moved to Jefferson City where he engaged in merchandising until 1854 when he retired.
For forty years, Mr. Hough was a man of marked prominence and influence not only in this locality, but throughout the state. He was considered the leading mind in the Democratic Party during the decade preceding the war.
In 1842-43 he represented Cole County in the General Assembly with marked ability. In 1844 he took an active part in the organization of "The Missouri Historical and Philosophical Society," which was later incorporated by an act of the General Assembly of Missouri in February 1845. He was one of the charter members of the society and its Treasurer for a number of years. In 1854 he was the candidate of the Democratic Party for Congress.
In conjunction with Judge William B. Napton and Judge William Scott, then on the Supreme bench of Missouri, and Judge Carby Wells of Mario County, Mr. Hough participated in framing the famous "Jackson Resolutions" introduced by Claibourne F. Jackson, afterwards Governor, in the Missouri Legislature in 1849, which resolutions occasioned the celebrated appeal of Col. Thomas H. Benton from the instructions of the Legislature to the people of Missouri. These resolutions looked forward to a conflict between the Northern and Southern States and pledged Missouri to a co-operation with her sister states of the South. The leading Democrats of Missouri were then known as Calhoun Democrats, chief among them being David R. Atchison, William B. Napton, James S. Green, Carby Wells, Claibourne F. Jackson and George W. Hough, and the bitter personal hostility existing between Calhoun and Benton was much intensified by these resolutions, the authorship of which Col. Benton attributed to Calhoun. The result of the canvass was Col Benton's retirement from the United States Senate.
Soon after making his unsuccessful canvass for Congress in 1854, Mr. Hough was appointed by Gov. Sterling Price a member of the Board of Public Works of Missouri, of which board he was President. The board was then charged with supervision of all the railroads in the state to which state aid had been granted.
At the general election in 1860 he was elected to the same office. It was admitted at the time that he would have succeeded Gov. Jackson as Governor of Missouri had the Civil War not broken out. Mr. Hough was stronger in the convention of 1860 than was Gov. Jackson and could have had the nomination if he had contended for it. Instead, he yielded to the friends of the nominee, upon the assurances he should have no opposition for the next term. During the campaign of 1860 he made a thorough canvass of the state with Governor Jackson.
Though offered various government positions at the federal level, he declined. He was Curator of the Missouri University for a time.
Mr. Hough died February 13, 1878. He had six children living in 1900: Mrs. George B. Winston, Judge Warwick Hough, Mrs. John P. Keiser, Dr. Charles P. Hough, Arthur M. Hough and Miss Georgia B. Hough.
Arthur M. Hough
Arthur M. Hough was born in Jefferson City. His parents, George W. and Mary C. Hough, moved to the city in 1838, coming from Loudon County, VA. He was educated in the public schools. His first job was as salesman for a large general store in the city, later working as a clerk on a lower Mississippi River steamboat.
In 1870 he decided to study law and located in Kansas City, MO studying and working as assistant clerk of the Jackson County Circuit Court. He was admitted to the bar in 1872, Kansas City. Later moving to Jefferson City, he became a Lt. Colonel on Gov. Stone’s Military Staff and helped establish the City Public Library of Jefferson City. He also helped secure the necessary funds to extend the Bagnell Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railway to Springfield, MO. He was also appointed several times as Special Judge of the Circuit Court. His home was at 224 East Miller Street.
Dr. Stanley P. Howard
Dr. Stanley P. Howard was born December 3, 1890, in Cole County where his ancestors had lived for many years. His father, S.J. Howard was born in Pulaski County in 1855, but his parents came to Cole County three years later. He was reared on a farm near Brazito, and was a mechanic during the greater part of his life until his retirement.
S.J. Howard married a daughter of John M. Proctor who was born in Alabama in 1826 and who was ten years old when his father, Nathan Proctor, settled with his family near the present site of Russellville. Nathan Proctor and his old friend, Lannon Short, had set out with their families to settle on Cowskin Prairie in southwest Missouri. The lynch pin of one of the ox drawn wagons caught in a narrow rutted trail and had to be dug out. While some of the party was freeing the wagon, others cut down a dead tree. In the tree was a great quantity of honey and a fat opossum. The unexpected supply of food was considered a good omen and the party made a permanent settlement in the location of the mishap instead of moving on. Thus around 1836 Cole County became the home of the Proctor family.
Nathan Proctor’s wife was Rachel Downing. John M. Proctor married Mary Ann Taylor, daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann Simpson Taylor of Tennessee. Thomas Taylor’s father, fighting in the War of 1812 under General Harrison, was killed in the Battle of Horseshoe Bend.
Doctor Howard’s paternal grandfather was Lilburn J. Howard, who was a merchant in Pulaski County from 1845 to 1858 when he came to Cole County. During the Civil War, learning of a plan to take his life, he left the community with the Confederate Army under the protection of General Sterling Price. His wife was a daughter of John West, noted pioneer Baptist preacher. Both Howard and Proctor families were Baptists for generations. An old copy of the minutes of the Little Piney Association of Regular and Predestinarian Baptists shows Lilburn J. Howard to have been moderator.
Doctor Stanley P. Howard attended Russellville High School, William Jewel College, and received his bachelor’s degree from the state university. He studied in St. Louis University, specializing in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. After a year as an intern in St. Louis he came to Jefferson City in 1922 where he went into private practice.
Doctor Howard was married in 1918 to Miss Mildred Snow, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo Snow of California, Mo. Her father was a merchant in that city for many years. Her mother was a member of the Burkhardt family, pioneer merchants of California. Doctor and Mrs. Howard had two sons, Stanley Proctor and David Snow. Dr. Howard taught school for a number of years. He taught high school in Arkansas, California, Mo., Jefferson City, and was on the faculty of the Southwest Baptist College at Bolivar where he served on the board of trustees.
A. A. Hunter
He married Callie Stevens, daughter of J.R. Stevens, on October 2, 1884. Both Mr. Hunter and his wife were members of the Mt. Olive Baptist Church. They made their home in Russellville.