Dr. Leon B. Lake
Doctor Leon B. Lake, on graduating from the College of Osteopathy at Kirksville, located in Jefferson City in 1921 and established his medical practice. He was secretary of the state board of osteopathy for ten years and also served as president of the Missouri Osteopathic Association. He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Masonic Lodge and of the Methodist Church.
Dr. Lake was born in Ohio in 1897, the son of Homer E. and Carrie Hatfield Lake. His parents lived at Johnstown, Ohio. He was married to Miss Jessie Ewing of Worth County, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gene Ewing. Dr. and Mrs. Lake had two children, Eugene E. was born April 18, 1922, and Leon B. Jr., February 10, 1925.
When Doctor Lake entered the college of osteopathy he had the advantage of personal contact with Dr. A. T. Still, founder of the science of osteopathy, whom was still living at that time.
Louis Landrum, was a descendant of one of Cole County’s oldest families. Mr. Landrum was born September 26, 1907, on a farm two and a half miles northwest of Elston. His father, George W. Landrum, was born on the same farm January 26, 1872. The property had been in his family since it was entered from the United States government by Louis Pieper, maternal grandfather of George Landrum.
The fifth marriage recorded in Cole County was that of William Landrum and Polly Mulkey who were united in marriage on January 5, 1822, by Thacker Vivion, justice of the peace. In 1831 their son, John Landrum was born, the father of George W. and grandfather of Louis Landrum. The wife of John Landrum, who died in 1905, was Virginia Peiper, the daughter of Louis Peiper, another Cole County pioneer.
George W. Landrum spent his life as a farmer until March 1935, when he became superintendent of the county home. January 26, 1895 he married Callie Chambers who died in 1903. After her death he married Mrs. Josephine McCrea, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Austeel.
Born and reared on a farm, Louis Landrum specialized in dairying and operated a dairy with his brother; they had a herd of about fifty cows. They built their new modern plant at 418 Bolivar Street and supplied the market of the Jefferson City trade territory with all milk products.
On May 21, 1934, Mr. Landrum married Miss Mildred Brown of Jefferson City, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Keaf Brown.
L. F. Landwher
A native of Cincinnati, L. F. Landwehr began in the dairy business in Jefferson City in 1926. In 1935 he erected a new plant at 305 Ash Street, considered to be one of the most efficient in the state. Sixty bottles per minute were washed, rinsed, sterilized and sealed without being touched by human hands. In addition to milk, the plant manufactured ice cream, butter, cheese and buttermilk. They employed about twenty people.
Mr. Landwehr was brought up in the dairy business. He was born in 1903, the son of Fred and Teresa Mehmert Landwehr. His mother died in 1918. Fred Landwehr, Sr., at an early date operated a large dairy in Ohio. At the time of his death, June j30, 1938, he was maintaining a herd of eighty cows on Highway 50, east of Jefferson City. Fred Landwehr, Sr., was born in Hanover, August 15, 1867. After coming to this country he was married to Teresa Mehmert who died around 1918. He left nine children, eight of whom live in Cole County.
Mr. Landwehr was married in 1926 to Miss Lucille Prenger, daughter of the former sheriff of Cole County. They had four daughters: Margaret Ann, Mary Teresa, Betty Joe, and Rose Marie. Mr. Landwehr was an active member of the Lion’s Club.
B. W. Lansdown
On March 21, 1889 he married Tracy Steffens, daughter of F. Steffens of Russellville. To this union three children were born: Anna, Clara and Ila.
H. P. Lauf
Hubert Peter Lauf, Jefferson City attorney and Representative from Cole County, was born at Osage City October 8, 1894. After attending public schools, including a year in the high school at Linn, he entered the state teachers’ college at Warrensburg where he completed the high school course and took two years’ work, receiving their sixty-hour diploma in 1917.
Mr. Lauf enlisted for service in World War I in 1917, and was attached to the 355th Ambulance Corps, 89th Division. He spent one year in training in this country and a year in service overseas, being discharged in June, 1919.
He entered the state university law school in 1921, graduating in 1923, following which he began practicing law in Jefferson City. Prior to this he taught school for three years, one year being principal of the high school at Belle.
Mr. Llauf was a member of the Masonic lodge, and a Shriner. HE served one year as commander of the local post and two years as state commander of Veterans of Foreign Wars. He was a member of the American Legion. First elected to the legislature in 1932, he served three regular sessions and one extra session in the House of Representatives and was re-nominated in the August primary of 1938.
Mr. Lauf was the son of John and Theresa Brennecke Lauf. His father was born in Cole County in 1857, and died in 1929. His mother, born in 1969, died in 1918. His grandparents immigrated to Missouri from Germany.
In August, 1919, Mr. Lauf was married to Miss Blanche Smith, daughter of Chauncey Lee and Elvira Doolittle Smith. Her father was born at Fairbury, Illinois in 1865, her mother in Iowa in 1864. Mr. and Mrs. Lauf had two children, Marjorie and Richard Lee.
Lucy and Nora Leach – daughters of Ed and Queenie Wyatt Leach
Henry G. LePage
Before reaching legal age he became active in farm organization work and was elected secretary-treasurer of the Cole County Farm Bureau in 1920, remaining six years in that office. He was a member of the Methodist Church, the Knights of Pythias Lodge and the United Commercial Travelers. He served five years as director of the Chamber of Commerce and was a director of the Jefferson City Building and Loan Association and president of the Hub City Building and Loan Association.
Mr. LePage was married September 3, 1927, to Miss Elora Wagner of a well known Jefferson City pioneer family. In 1938 they had four sons and one daughter. John Henry was nine years old, Paul W. seven, Thomas E. five, Julian F. three, and a daughter, Elora Rosalin was born January 10, 1938.
John E. LePage, the father of Henry G. was born in Jefferson City, April 4, 1859, in a house on the southwest corner of St. Mary’s Hospital grounds. All his adult life he worked as a plastering contractor until he died February 25, 1920. John E. LePage was married June 14, 1899 to Miss Nathalia C. Henry who was born on a farm east of Jefferson City.
The father of John E. LePage was born May 28, 1818, at LeMans, France and came to the United States in 1838. He was a stone mason and plasterer by occupation. He married Elizabeth Jane Ross in Jefferson City and lived here until his death in 1885. His wife was born at Jeffersonville, Indiana, July 10, 1833, came to Cole County in 1843 and died May 30, 1916. She was the daughter of William and Nancy Ross, the former being the son of John and Peggy Ross of White County, Tennessee. Mrs. Nancy Ross was the daughter of George and Mary Rains. She was born in Campbell County, Tennessee, January 8, 1810, and died in Jefferson City July 21, 1898. Her father served under Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812; her great-grandfathers under Washington in the Revolutionary War.
Mr. LePage’s mother was the daughter of Francis Henry who was born April 3, 1831, in the province of Lorraine near Metz. He served three years in the Civil War. He was married to Josephine Placial who was born in Nancy, France, July 18, 1836, and came to the United States in 1865.
Henry G. LePage had the unusual distinction for a Republican in that period of Cole County politics of being elected County Recorder for three successive terms. In 1930 and again in 1934 he was the only Republican to be elected to office in this county.
Pros LePage, justice of the peace and well known Jefferson Citian, was born inn the city March 16, 1874. His parents were Prosper and Elizabeth Ross LePage. His father, a native of LeMans, France, came to this city in the early 1840s and joined the adventurous caravans in the California gold rush.
Mr. LePage was married in 1920 to Miss Maude Smith, daughter of the late G.A. Smith, former sheriff of this county. Mr. Smith, a native of Virginia, died in 1937 at the age of eighty. He came to this county before the Civil War and settled in Clark Township.
Mr. LePage was a painter by trade. Later he went into the tire business from which he retired in 1934, at which time he became justice of the peace. The LePages were members of the Methodist Church and Mr. LePage was an influential worker in the Democratic Party.
Ada S. Leslie, Obituary, Daily Capital News, 20 August 1957
Mrs. Ada. S. Leslie, 74, wife of the late Dr. Walter L. Leslie and former principal of the West End grade school in Jefferson City, died Sunday afternoon at her home here. She was active in civic and church affairs.
She was born March 1, 1883 in Cole County, the daughter of James Henry and Margaret Hillard. She attended elementary school in Kansas City, the Miller County Institute and Central Missouri State Teachers College in Warrensburg. She taught in Cole County schools and served as principal of the old West End grade school in 1904.
On Sept. 20, 1904, she married Dr. Walter L. Leslie, who died June 18, 1955. She was a member of the Methodist Church here, the Women's Society of Christian Service of that church and was a past matron of Russellville Chapter 451 of the Order of the Eastern Star. She was active in civic affairs here.
Mrs. Leslie is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Raymond Walcott of Peoria, Illinois; four sons, Dr. G. E. Leslie of Kirkwood, Dr. Walter Logan Leslie Jr. of St. Joseph, Hillard W. Leslie of Russellville and Lauren L. Leslie of North Little Rock, Ark.; nine grandchildren; her mother, Mrs. Margaret Hillard of Russellville; and an uncle, Almon Musick of Eugene.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Methodist Church, the Rev. Paul Greene officiating. Burial will be in the Enloe Cemetery.
He was united in marriage March 13, 1900 to Callie Clark, daughter of H.W. Clark.
J. G. Leslie
He was united in marriage to Maud Curnett, daughter of Andrew J. Curnett, on April 21, 1897. They had one child, Leta Irene, and made their home at 204 Ash Street.
W. S. Leslie
William S. Leslie was born near Russellville on Cole County on May 3, 1854, where he was educated in the neighboring schools. At the age of twenty one he rented a farm and engaged in farming when a year later he purchased that farm, where he was a prominent stock buyer dealing in cattle, hogs and sheep.
On April 7, 1874 he married Ella Groom, daughter of William B. Groom of Moniteau County. They had three boys and three girls. One daughter, Emma, died at the age of eighteen soon after her marriage to Dr. Newton Thomas Enloe. His son Byron worked in the newspaper business. Mr. Leslie was one of the organizers of the Russellville Exchange Bank.
William S. Leslie, Obituary - unknown, undated publication
Mr. William S. Leslie died at his home near Russellville at 7 o'clock Monday evening after an illness of nearly two years with a complication of stomach and bronchial trouble. Last spring he went to the state of California in the hope that the climatic condition there might improve him, but this proved unavailing, and after spending the summer there he returned to his home the last of September, where he remained until the messenger of peace came to end his suffering Monday evening. He was a patient sufferer during his illness and bore his trials with a Christian fortitude. He was a man of the highest type of citizenship, a loving husband and parent and a sympathizing and faithful friend to those who bore that relationship to him in life.
William Starks Leslie was born near where he died on May 23, 1852, and was therefore over 51 years of age. He was the son of Andrew J. Leslie, one of the pioneer citizens of Cole County, who entered the farm where he now resides and where this son and other children of a large family were born. He was educated in the common schools and at one time engaged in the occupation of teacher.
Later he married Miss Ella Groom, daughter of the late William Groom of Moniteau County. He purchased the farm on which he lived during the remainder of his life and engaged in the business of farming and stock trading. His aged father, his wife, six children, three brothers and three sisters survive him. The children are Amanda Steffens of Russellville, Byron Leslie of Jefferson City, Walter, Jack, Blanche and Clara, all of Russellville. Mrs. J. M. McMillen of Corticelli, Mrs. Margaret VanPool and Mrs. Joseph Campbell of Russellville are sisters, J. N. Leslie of Russellville, Dr. C. B. Leslie of Meade, Kansas and J. G. Leslie of Jefferson City are brothers.
He was a member of the Cold Spring Baptist Church and was for several years the church clerk. The funeral will be conducted by Rev. R. L. Hood of the Centretown Baptist Church Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock at the Cole Spring Baptist Church. The interment will follow in the family lot in the Enloe Cemetery near that place.
Benjamin Herman Linhardt was a grandson of Fred F. and Barbara Linhardt, natives of Germany, who came to St. Louis from Germany in 1848. From St. Louis Fred Linhardt moved with his family to a farm in Osage County. John F. Linhardt, son of Fred and father of Ben Linhardt, was born in St. Louis April 27, 1849. He was an Osage County farmer, a soldier in the Union Army in the Civil War. He was a progressive citizen, and owned and operated the first steam threshing machine in Osage County. John Linhardt married Sophia Kiso, by whom he had eight children. He died in 1923.
Ben Linhardt was born in Osage County September 15, 1879. He attended country school and business college and at the age of sixteen began work at the carpenter trade. At nineteen he became clerk in a store at Freedom, Osage County. He came to Jefferson City in 1904. He was a building contractor until 1908, when he organized the B. H. Linhardt Lumber and Construction Company, operating a lumber yard and planning factory.
He sold his business in 1918, being elected County Recorder on the Republican ticket that year. At the conclusion of his term of office he became vice-president and superintendent of Lee’s Tire Chain Industries, resigning within eight months to become Postmaster of Jefferson City, a position he held from September 1, 1923 to August 1933. Upon retiring as Postmaster, he engaged in insurance, investment, and real estate activities and promoting and developing a restricted residential district in western Jefferson City.
Mr. Linhardt was married August 27, 1904, to Miss Ida Rufi, daughter of Fred and Medina Rufi. They had three children, Alice Marie, Viola Virginia, and Benjamin Harold. Mr. Linhardt was a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner, and a Knight of Pythias. He served as president of the Missouri Postmasters’ Association and vice-president of the Tri-State Postmasters’ Association and state committeeman of this district. He was one of the local Republican Party leaders.
George A. Linhardt
Mr. Linhardt was regarded as a premier architect and builder in his time. Taking a course in architectural drawing by correspondence, Mr. Linhardt struggled with it for three years and then passed the examination with a better than average score. He arrived in Jefferson City in 1910 with his carpenter tools and a desire to get ahead. During the years he built many important business buildings in Jefferson City including the Roesen building on Capitol Avenue and the Capitol Theater on High Street. He also built the magnificent Lutheran Church at Lohman in Cole County.
George Linhardt was born on a farm near Freedom in Osage County. His father was a hardy pioneer who came from Germany as a young man in 1848. He followed farming and at odd times did carpentering work. He married Sophie Kiso who was a farmer’s daughter. He lived at the old home place in Osage County until his death at the age of 76 in 1923.
George Linhardt was married to Miss Amanda Pohlman and to the couple six boys were born. In 1919 Mr. Linhardt became involved in the real estate business. From 1923 to 1925 he was superintendent of construction at the state prison.
H. O. Linhardt
He raised bales and engaged in stock raising, as well as raising hogs. He lived at the family farm with his widowed mother and two brothers, J. Ed. and Nicholas, Jr. He had three sisters, Anna and Emma (who married a Knernshield), and Elizabeth (who married a Gemeinhardt). He was a stockholder of the Lohman and Russellville Telephone in which he also served as Vice President.
J. A. Linhardt
J. A. N. Linhardt
Mr. Loeffler was united in marriage to Tena Bacot of Sheboygan, Wisconsin on November 21, 1882, which four children were born: Frank, Elnora, Kate and Edna. While in Jefferson City they made their home at 204 Jefferson Street.
Charles F. Lohman
Louis Charles Lohman and his father, Charles F. Lohman, were for more than sixty years conspicuously active factors in the development of Jefferson City and central Missouri.
Charles F. Lohman was born in Prussia about 1818, the son of a merchant. After serving in the German army he came to St. Louis about 1842 where he was married. His wife, Henrietta, was also a native of Prussia. The Charles F. Lohmans started to the State of California; Mr. Lohman was influenced to stop in Jefferson City, where he remained, becoming one of the wealthiest and most prominent businessmen in Central Missouri.
Lohman’s Store, situated on the riverfront at the foot of Jefferson and Water streets, was for years the leading mercantile establishment of Jefferson City. This point was the boat landing, and before the railroad was built, the receiving point for all goods coming into Jefferson City.
When the Pacific Railway reached Otterville Mr. Lohman established a second store at that place. When it reached Sedalia he established a store in that city, and invested heavily in Sedalia real estate. He operated an iron foundry and helped organize the First National Bank of which he became a director. He had heavy investments in steamboats which he owned and operated. He lost heavily in this hazardous business, however, when some of his boats sank. He died July 29, 1879 at Stringtown, near Lohman, where he had moved and where he conducted a mercantile business on a comparatively small scale after retirement.
C. W. Lohman
In 1871 he took a position as clerk on the steamer Viola Belle, owned by his father and operating between St. Louis and the head-waters of the Missouri River. In 1872 he engaged in the general mercantile business in Jefferson City, moving in 1874 to Stringtown and moving again in 1884 to Lohman. In addition to doing a large business in general merchandise, he was a dealer in railway timber. He owned timberland in the country adjacent to Lohman.
Mr. Lohman was married in 1873 to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Capt. J. J. Steininger who was a prominent Republican of the Capital City, and served as Postmaster during the administrations of presidents Garfield and Arthur. Mr. Lohman had one son who worked as bookkeeper for the Merchants’ Bank of Jefferson City.
Louis C. Lohman
During 1889 and up to the Fall of 1892 he operated the steamboats Hugo, Black Diamond, Carrier, Edna and Sport on the Missouri and Osage rivers in connection with the Missouri Pacific Railroad. When the M. K. & T. was built, this business became unprofitable and was abandoned. Mr. Lohman was steamboat agent for the Star Line, St. Louis and Omaha Packet companies from 1868 until railroad competition finally drove them out of the business.
In addition to his large mercantile interests, he was owner and manager of the Lohman Opera House. He was a large stockholder in the Merchants’ Bank, of which he was president, and a stockholder and director in the First National Bank. He had a large amount of residential and business property in Jefferson City as well as properties in Kansas City, Missouri, Ft. Smith, Arkansas and Sioux City, Iowa. He had several thousand acres of property around the state, rich in mineral deposits of lead, iron and jack, and was associated with Jacob C. Fisher with gold properties in Cripple Creek, Colorado and real estate in Anaconda, Montana.
He was united in marriage in Jefferson City on September 6, 1886, to Miss Amelia, daughter of C. Staats, a native of Germany. They had four children, Ira H., Louis V., Sylvester M. and Margaret. He died February 12, 1921.
933 Jefferson Street
Built in 1893, no longer standing
Ira H. Lohman
Ira H. Lohman, son of Louis C. Lohman, was born in Jefferson City August 26, 1887. His education in the Jefferson City schools was followed by academic work and the study of law in the Missouri State University. Following his admission to the bar he worked from 1909 to 1921 as a partner in the law firm of Pope and Lohman. He subsequently went into practice alone.
While conducting a general practice in state and federal courts, much of Mr. Lohman’s practice was focused on corporate law. He was counsel for the insurance department of the state in rate litigation. From 1928 to 1932 he was a member of the state board of bar examiners.
Mr. Lohman was married April 18, 1914 to Miss Ida May Maring, daughter of W.F. and Ida May Trout Maring of Carthage. Mr. Maring was chief clerk in the office of the state treasurer during the term of Jacob F. Gmelich, 1905 to 1909. Mr. and Mrs. Lohman had four children: Ira H., Jr., born May 21, 1915; Mary Margaret, born August 23, 1917; Louis Maring, born July 10, 1921; Ida May, born July 1, 1923.
Sylvester M. Lohman
Sylvester M. Lohman, son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis C. Lohman, was born in Jefferson City in 1897. He attended the Jefferson City schools to his third year in high school, then went to the University High School in Columbia following which he took academic work in the state university.
Enlisting in World War I at the age of nineteen, he graduated from the school of aeronautics of the University of Texas. At the conclusion of the war he worked for a time in the First National Bank, and in 1923 organized the Motor Investment Company. His attention was given to the management of this company until 1929 when he organized the Acceptance Company which he conducted from offices in the Central Trust Building.
In October 1935, Mr. Lohman was married to Miss Mildred Waddill, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Waddill, formerly of Adair County. Mr. Waddill was formerly chairman of the state tax commission. (see sketch)
F. E. Luckett
After five years of teaching he studied law and in 1885 moved to Jefferson City working in the law office of Smith and Krauthoff. In September 1887 he was appointed City Attorney and served until 1891. In 1892 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Cole County, continuing for three consecutive terms. At the expiration of his last term he opened his own private practice in the Binder building.
He was united in marriage in October1889 to Mathilda Bergan and one son, Thomas Fenton, was born to this union. He was considered one of the most prominent criminal attorneys of central Missouri. He made his home at 113 Madison.
William A. Lumpkin
Mr. Lumpkin was a student in the Miller County Institute, following which he taught for twenty—five years in Miller, Pulaski and adjoining counties. He was superintendent of schools at Dixon, Waynesville and Crocker. He made Pulaski County his home in 1896, following which he served that county as county school commissioner.
From his youth he was active in the service of the Democratic Party, and on the ticket of that party he was elected in 1906 to the state legislature. He was author of the eight-hour law for telegraphers, and of the high school tuition law. In 1913 he moved to Jefferson City where he lived for the remainder of his life.
Mr. Lumpkin’s life was devoted to the service of religion, education and government. He organized a class in the Baptist Church of Jefferson City which he taught for twenty years. The longer portion of his adult life was spent in teaching and in the direction and instruction of teachers. He served as county chairman of Pulaski County and afterwards of Cole County. For four years he was a member of the staff of the state department of insurance, and for about six years of the department of fish and game. He served in the employment of the state in various other capacities.
Mr. Lumpkin was married in 1895 to Miss Vesta Carty, a native of Miller County, daughter of Herman and Mary Thompson Carty. Mrs. Lumpkin’s father, a native of Germany, was brought to this country by an uncle when one year old. Her mother was a native of Ohio. One son, Earl, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Lumpkin. He married Miss Vinnie Wright, a native of Little Rock, Arkansas, and the couple made their home there.
Mrs. Lumpkin was a teacher for eighteen years. For ten years, during the administration of Charles A. Lee as state school superintendent, she was a member of the staff of the state department of education.
William H. Lusk
During the Mexican War, the subject of this sketch served as Private in Captain Jno. Knapp’s Company “C”, 1st Missouri Infantry, and was on duty during the infamous Battle of Matamoras. On June 17, 1861 he was mustered into service as Captain of Company “B”, Colonel Richardson’s Regiment, and was engaged in the filed until October when he was appointed Assistant Provost Marshall, which he served until June 1862, when he was commissioned as a recruiting officer with the rank of Lieutenant. Upon raising four companies of volunteers, he was promoted to rank of Captain and assigned Company “E” of the 10th Missouri Calvary. Then, on December 4th of that same year, he was promoted to rank of Major of the same regiment, a position he held until his honorable discharge on July 2, 1865 in Nashville, Tennessee, at the close of the war.
He was united in marriage to Abbie Maria Burgess on October 2, 1856 and they had two children. James died in 1860 and Mary Bell married a Daniel Boone of Kansas City. On June 9, 1859 his wife Abbie died and twelve years later he married Christine Hager, a native of France, in Pittsburg, PA. Two children were born to this union.
Mr. Lusk was largely interested in the lead and zinc mining industry and purchased the old Osage Ironworks containing 400 acres of landed in Camden County, fifteen miles west of Linn Creek.
William H. Lusk died at 104 West High Street in Jefferson City on October 13, 1900 at the age of 73 years, 1 month and 7 days.
The birthplace of Major W. H. Lusk, located in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. It was also the birthplace of Mr. Lusk’s father, William Lusk, who reared his family of eight children, three boys and five girls there. The house was built by Mr. Lusk’s grandfather (also named William Lusk) in the year 1772.