Cole County Missouri Historical Society










Organizations of Cole County




 Knights of Pythias Hall

Knights of Pythias Hall

200 East High Street

In 1943 the second floor served as offices for the Capital City Oil Company.
At present the building is occupied by Turnbull Law Offices.



 Jefferson City Ball Club

JEFFERSON CITY BALL CLUB – 1886
Played the St. Louis Browns

Front row: F. Dewey, AuBuchon, L. Miller Middle row: Lindley, Ferguson,
Ed Miller Back row: Schmidt, Maus, Tanner, Langerhans



 Jefferson City Ball Club 1899

JEFFERSON CITY BASEBALL CLUB - 1899

Jefferson City Baseball Club
Amateur Champions of Missouri

T. A. Dodge, l. f.     Lee Garvin, c.     J. Goldman, scorer     Dick Rohn 1 b.     Lester Wilcox s. s.
    Walter Coleman, p. and c. f.        H. W. Sieling, Mgr.      S. R. L. Hawkins, 2 b.
    Charles Dewey, 3 b. and captain        H. Maupin, p.              W. Popp, p.

The Jefferson City Baseball Club was organized in 1896 by Henry F. Priesmeyer in association with W. A. Dallmeyer and E. J. Miller. The club of 1896 defeated all the crack teams of Missouri, and was called the “Amateur Champions of Missouri.” The above management continued to handle the team until the Summer of 1899, when the franchise was purchased by H. W. Sieling and George Stampfli, who continued in the management for several months when Mr. Stampfli disposed of his interest to Mr. Sieling, he taking full control of the team. The above picture was taken late in the season of 1899.

Charles Dewey of the Press Printing Company, was Captain of the team the greater part of the 1899 season when he resigned, and the captainship was tendered to Lee Garvin who finished the season. In 1899 the team made a circuit of the States of Missouri and Illinois, defeating every club they came in contact with except the Alton Blues of Alton, Ill., who won the series. The club had three pitchers, Messrs. Popp, Coleman and Maupin, and each had enviable records; the back-stop work was performed by Capt. Lee Garvin and Wilcox. The other positions were filled by excellent ball players. The club, as a whole, was a splendid advertisement for Jefferson City.



 Mandolin Club - 1900

MANDOLIN CLUB - 1900

Front row: Holmes Reid, Louis A. Suden, James Harding, Addison B. Elston
Back row: Joseph F. Reid, John B. Richter, Richard Antrobus, Don R. Chapman



 Painted Rock Hunting Club  - 1909

PAINTED ROCK HUNTING CLUB - 1909

Executive Mansion Dining Room, Gov. and Mrs. Hadley, Hosts

Seated L-R: Mrs. Fred Gieseke, George Ramsey, Jesse Tallerton, Mrs. Will Moore, Mrs. Jesse Henry, Judge W. M. Robinson, Mrs. D.C. McClunb, Henry Andrae, Mrs. Edson Burch, Mrs. Chas. Clay, Mrs. Lou Isom, Jesse W. Henry, Edson Burch, Mrs. W.M. Robinson, Mrs. Nelson Burch, T.G. Burkhardt, Mrs. T.G. Burkhardt, Fred Gieseke

Standing: Mrs. Jesse Tallerton, Mrs. Ed Ramsey, Ed Ramsey, Chas. Clay, Mrs. George Ramsey, L. C. Isom, Nan Isom (Mrs. W.C. Dixon), Lawson Price, D.C. McClunb, John Hadley, Henrietta Hadley, Gov. Herbert S. Hadley, Mrs. Hadley, Howard Glass, Mrs. E. W. Decker, Dr. W.A. Clark, Mrs. W.A. Clark, Wm. E. Moore, E.W. Decker, Mrs. Henry Andrae, Mrs. Lawson Price, Mrs. John E. Swanger, Nelson C. Burch, John T. Short, John E. Swanger, Mrs. H.A. Glass



South Side Booster Club

The South Side Booster Club owed its birth to a spirit of progress and development on the part of a number of citizens who resided in that portion of the city popularly known as the South Side, now called Old Munichburg. Organized in 1912, the group enjoyed wonderful growth and had a membership of 100 in a few short months. Among the notable achievements of the organization was the improvement of many streets, extension of water mains, additional street lighting and the establishment of sanitary sewers.

Chief among the things accomplished through the efforts of the Booster Club was the organization of a bank on the South Side. This institution, know as the Cole County Bank, had a paid up capital stock of $25,000. It opened its doors for business on November 9, 1912 with the promise of a bright future.

The officers of the club served without compensation and were: George Bartholomaeus, president; Ed. S. Whitehead, first vice-president; Chris Asel, second Vice-president; Ed. W. Finke, third vice-president; John J. Ahrens, corresponding secretary; Robert Mohr, recording secretary; George McFarland, treasurer; Albert W. Happy, A. J. Moerschel, Hugo Busch, Martin Loesch, Nick Kielman, Henry Sachs and Hy. Schmidt, members of the board of directors; John H. Faust, Henry C. Schmidt, William Hott, Hugo Busch, Henry Ottman, Robert Mohr and Carl Deeg, members of the legislative and steering committee. The club met on the first Tuesday of each month at its club rooms in Friemel's Garden.



 Spanish American War Veterans
Mustered into service at Jefferson Barracks, May 12, 1898. Mustered out at Albany Ga., March 3, 1899
This photograph was taken on the steps of the 1840 Capitol.
Company Officers:
Claud L. Clark, Captain
Otto G. W. Fleming, 1st Lieut.
Addison D. Elston, 2nd Lieut.
Sergeants:
Mame Ried, 1st Sergeant
Frank W. Bradbury
Don R. Chapman
Joseph F. Schleer
Arthur H. Adams
Charls J. Graber
Corporals:
Joseph Goldman
Louis L. Jobe
John F. Burger
James P. Johnson
William H. Irvine
Thomas C. Goodall
Charles B. Donnell
John H. Allen, Musician
August Anderson, Artificer
William H. Burger, Wagoner
Privates:
Arnhold, Walter A.
Blank, James M.
Barton, Claud
Bonewitz, Francis M.
Bowlin, Robert E.
Boyce, W. Albert
Bredeman, Albert A.
Brandyhouse, Albert W.
Burch, Charles E.
Carey, Byron E.
Crocket, Edgar L.
Davidson, Grant
Dampf, Henry W.
Deven, John M.
Dick, John W.
Dickerson, John
Drier, George Henry
Drier, George Henry
Ebbrecht, Richard R.
Gaggard, Logan L.
Goff, Oscar H.
Goldman, Sam
Goldman, Beno
Granp, Wiley S.
Green, John H.
Green, Walter D.
Greenway, James H.
Hart, Charles W.
Hicks, Alvarado
Hoyt, Charles
James, Elmer
Jones, Thomas D.
Kelsey, Ernest S.
Kielman, Nicholas Jr.
Kiessling, Peter E.
Lesher, Guy J.
Lobdan, Stonewall J.
McAnany, Phil. F.
McCarthy, John P.
McPherson, Flare
Marshall, Walter B.
Martin, John P.
Marton, Westley C.
Mehr, William
Meyers, Henry C.
Miller, Alvin C.
Newkirk, Fank E.
Noel, William D. Jr.
Noble, Joseph H.
Opel, Frederick W.
Owsley, James R.
Peterson, John W.A.
Peasner, Lawrence E.
Poston, William H.
Pouless, William M.
Prine, Warren S.
Reagan, Edgar
Reeves, Fred M.
Reinke, Gustav F.
Roark, Hade
Robinett, Doctor J.E.
Robinett, Lee R.
Rogers, Hugh W.
Rolfes, John H.
Roper, Irvin D.
Routzong, John H.
Rush, Bert
Schmidli, William
Scott, Eugene O.
Stickney, Frank D.
Stephens, Joseph
Stressner, Charles L.
Swearingin, John H.
Todd, Clarence E.
Trader, Royal F.
Treiber, Joseph
Waters, Samuel
Weiss, John M.
Welch, Thomas
Williams, Thomas J.
Willis, Arthur E.
Woehrman, August H.
Wulfert, Fred
Young, George
Zetysche, Henry
Zubmaier, John
Company Changes:
Otto G.W. Fleming, First Lieutenant resigned August 4, 1898 and was succeeded by Leof N. Harding Addison D. Elston, Second Lieutenant, resigned August 10, 1898, and was succeeded by Frank W. Bradbury, who was promoted from First Sergeant, which office was filled by Don R. Chapman.
Claud Barton died at General Hospital at Sternberg, near Lytle, Ga., of typhoid fever.
Guy J. Lesher died at Division Hospital, in Lexington, Ky., September 15, 1898.
 Spanish-American War Veterans
Non-Commissioned Officers, Company L
Frank W. Bradbury, First Sergeant
Corporals:
Don R. Chapman
Joseph F. Schleer
Arthur H. Adams
Charles J. Gruber
John F. Tihen
Sergeants:
John F. Burger
Joseph Goldman
Louis L. Jobe
Charles E. Burch
Arthur E. Willis
Thomas C. Goodall

John P. Martin
Walter B. Marshall
Ernest S. Kelsey
Bert Rush
John M. Weiss
Alvarado Hicks


The Commercial Club of Jefferson City

The Commercial Club of Jefferson City (forerunner of the Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce) was composed of leading business men, the purpose of the organization being to encourage and assist in movements to advance the material, social and educational interests of the city. The initial meeting of this organization was held April 6, 1893, with A.P. Grimshaw temporary chairman and John G. Lewis temporary secretary. April 21, 1893, Mr. A.P. Grimshaw was elected to the office of President and F. H. Binder, Vice-President. The first Board of Directors, nine in number, were A.P. Grimshaw, W.W. Wagner, R. Dallmeyer, W.A. Dallmeyer, F.H. Binder, J.P. Porth, H.W. Ewing, John G. Lewis and Lester S. Parker, who then elected John G. Lewis Secretary of the club and Jesse W. Henry Treasurer.

Records show the organization was one of the first of its kind in the state and it and its successors contributed tremendously to the progress and permanency of the community. In the early days, the organization functioned to keep the capital from being moved elsewhere.

The organization engineered and was the means of carrying through the building of the first Jefferson City bridge across the Missouri River, the county court house and the sewerage system. In fact, almost every move to advance the material interests of the city was conceived and pushed to completion by this organization.

In 1900, they maintained a suite of club rooms on the west half of the second floor of Merchants Bank at the corner of High and Jefferson.

 The Reception Hall  The Reception Parlors  The Rooms
The Reception Hall The Reception Parlors The Rooms

By 1912 the club rooms were located in City Hall where the board met at 11 a.m. on Tuesdays. They had 482 members and met each Thursday for lunch at Clarke’s Café. The organization had been a factor in the following activities:

  • 1895 – The Missouri River Bridge, at a cost of $250,000
  • 1896 – Prevented the Capital removal
  • 1896 – A new County Courthouse
  • 1896 – A perfect sewer system
  • 1902 – River route over Missouri Pacific at a cost of $27,000
  • 1903 – Entire new set school buildings at a cost of $80,000
  • 1906 – Three large shoe factories, at a cost of $120,000
  • 1911 – Roberts, Johnson & Rand factory, $10,000
  • 1904-1907 – Supervised contracts and franchises of public utilities
  • 1910 – Waged a vigorous campaign for new capitol building
  • 1911 – Secured adoption of new $3,500,000 capitol proposition
  • 1912 – City bond issue for improvements

The club’s slogan, “The Hub of the State of Missouri”.