Rev. Jefferson Franklin Sage
Rev. Jefferson Franklin Sage was born in Louisville, KY in 1858, coming to Missouri when a youth. After the Civil War he lived with Mrs. Henry Godfrey in Warren County for three years. He then attended school at Jonesburg, and later learned the barber trade, working in different shops in Jonesburg, Warrenton and St. Charles. While in St. Charles he accepted a position in the car shops for three years (being the first man of color to work there), and also preaching for the A.M.E. Church, but was not licensed until 1879.
His first charge was OíFallon Circuit where he remained a year and a half, and during his pastorate built a church house. He then went to Ashland, Boone County, MO for two years, enlarging the church and increasing the membership by fifty per cent. He then served Montgomery City one year and Richmond three years, where he increased the membership from 17 to 170 and remodeled and improved the church building. While in Richmond he also served as editor of the Richmond Critic, a weekly paper.
His next charge was Moberly, MO where he remained two years and during the first year 126 were converted. During his stay there he was editor and manager of the Christian Recorder. From here he was transferred to Lawrence, KS where, during his two years service he secured 118 additions and remodeled the church at a cost of $500.
He then served a congregation in Ottawa, KS and Lincoln NE, at the latter place securing 33 additions and paying off $1,000 on a debt of $3,300. After one yearís service at each of these places he went to Miami, MO where there were added 52 members. After two years there he came to Jefferson City on November 1, 1899.
Rev. Sage was married in 1871 to Miss Mary Alexander at St. Charles. This union was blessed with five children. Rev. and Mrs. Sage boarded at 318 E. Dunklin St. in Jefferson City.
July 15, 1908, Mr. Sailer published the first number of The Daily Post. This strong Republican organ immediately set a modern trend in typography, in headlines, in news handling and in editorial content. It was active in support of Herbert Hadley for Governor, who carried Cole County by a good majority. It was the first Jefferson City newspaper to print telegraphic reports from a regular news service (United Press), and was the first Jefferson City newspaper to become a member of the Associated Press.
J. H. Edwards, veteran newspaper man, in an article published in the Post-Tribune November 4, 1927, said, ďThe Post was started by Joseph Sailer and was the first daily to discover the secret of making both ends meet on the then somewhat limited advertising available.Ē The Post was eventually sold and incorporated into the Post-Tribune.
Mr. Sailer was a member of St. Peterís Church, a charter member of Helias Council No. 1054 of the Knights of Columbus and of the Fourth Degree Assembly of that order. He was also a member of the International Typographical Union.
Mrs. Joseph Sailer aided materially in the management of the paper and others who contributed to its growth with many years of loyal serviceóeven through the trying period of World War I when help was hard to getówere Herman S. Sailer, compositor; Arthur H. Adams, linotype operator, and Eugene Branditz, pressman. Reporting was done by Lawrence R. Lutkewitte. A prominent Jefferson Citian, Henry C. Asel, served the paper in its early years as cub reporter and advertising salesman.
Henry Sailer, the father of Joseph Sailer, was born July 23, 1844, at Heuweiler, near Freiburg, Germany. He immigrated to Ontario, Canada, at the age of twenty-three and there married Miss Mary Ann Schefter on February 22, 1870. They came to Missouri soon after their marriage and located in Jefferson City, later moving to a farm three miles north of Cedar City where they resided more than ten years and then returned to Jefferson City. Henry Sailer died June 15, 1919, survived by the widow and seven children: Joseph, Sister Mary Angeline and Sister Mary Louise of the Ursuline Order, Mrs. R. F. Boehme, Mrs. F. W. Vogel, Mrs. M. E. Steele and Miss Florence Sailer. His widow, who was born in Ontario July 26, 1853, died May 21, 1934. She was the mother of ten children, two of whom died in infancy, and a son, Herman S. Sailer, who died September 30, 1917, at the age of thirty-four.
Joseph Sailer was married April 27, 1903 at St. Georgeís Church in Hermann to Miss Emily Oncken. Mrs. Sailer was the daughter of Francis H. W. Oncken who was born in Elwuerden, Grand Duchy of Oldenburg, Germany October 22, 1829. He came to this country in 1851, settled on a farm and conducted a store at Stolpe, Gasconade County. Later moving to Hermann, he was made probate judge of Gasconade County, holding that office seventeen years. He was mayor of Hermann for a number of years. In the Civil War he was captain of Company A, 34th Regiment. October 15, 1860, he married Amanda Doyon who became the mother of twelve children and who died January 2, 1914. She was born May 8, 1843, the daughter of Joseph Doyon, pioneer merchant of Hermann. Born in Quebec July 15, 1808, Joseph Doyon came to Hermann in 1841 and in 1842 married Catherine Krecker who was born in Philadelphia May 27, 1811.
John H. Sanning
John H. Sanning was born in Germany about 1829. His parents were Francis Leopold Sanning (1799-1873) and Anna Margaretha Jansen (1805-1875). They were parents of three children including John H. Sanning 1829-1914 m. Adalaide Bruenning; Anna Maria Sanning 1833-1865 m. Bernard Rackers; and Anna Helena Sanning 1837-1920 m. William John Berendzen. No record was found of other children but it is likely others may have died in infancy.
John H. Sanning and Adalaide Bruenning
A descendant of this family traced the Sanning family history backward in time through two more generations, all natives of Germany. Leopold Sanning and Anna Adelheide Korte were the great grandparents of John; Johann Heinrich Sanning and Anna Maria Brunner were the grandparents of John; and Francis Leopold Sanning and Anna Margaretha Jansen were the parents of John.
When Francis Leopold and Margaretha Sanning came to America they settled in Cole County with their three children. During the Civil War both father and son served with the Union army. Francis was a Captain in Co. F First Regiment of the Missouri Home Guards and John also served with the Home Guards. If Francis actually were a soldier in that war, he would have been over 60 years old! Francis died in Cole County in 1873 at the age of 74 years and his wife, Margaretha, died in 1875 and was 70 years old.
John H. Sanning married Adalaide Bruenning (1841-1914) in Cole County and they were parents of several children. According to his obituary, taken from The Jefferson City Capitol News and reprinted in The Eldon Advertiser in 1914, John amassed a considerable amount of property in Cole County in the Schuberts area. His huge farm was considered one of the best in that section of the state.
The children of John and Adalaide were Francis/Frank Sanning, John Henry Sanning Jr., Herman Sanning, Anton Sanning, Peter Sanning, Joseph Sanning, Bernard J. Sanning, and Mary (Sanning) Kroll. Four of their sons (Frank, Bernard/Ben, Anton, and Peter) moved to the Marys Home area in Miller County; John Henry Jr. was cashier of the bank at Eugene; Herman lived at Taos; Joseph and his widowed sister, Mary, were living with their father when he died in 1914.
John H. Sanning died at his home on the Osage River, near Schuberts, on November 11, 1914 at the age of 86 years. His wife of many years, Adalaide (Bruenning) Sanning died in January 1914. Both are buried at the Taosí St. Francis Xavier church cemetery.
William John and Anna Helena Sanning Berendzen
NOTE: Johnís sister, Anna Helena Sanning, married William John Berendzen in Cole County in 1854. They later moved to Maryís Home and died there. They are buried at Our Lady of the Snows church cemetery. Today there are many people living in the Maryís Home community who are descendants of the Sanning and Berendzen families.
C. F. Sappenfield
C. F. Sappenfield was born on a farm near Russellville on July 15, 1892, the son of H.C. and Mary Roark Sappenfield, both natives of Cole County. He attended the country schools and in 1913 came to Jefferson City. He tried a number of trades and went into business as a sheet metal worker with R. Q. Kist, who had started his business a short time before. Sappenfield learned the business thoroughly and later started in the same trade under his own name. In 1922 he took as a partner, N. P. Sims and the firm became prominent in Jefferson City as sheet metal workers.
Mr. Sappenfield was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, was on the Board of Stewards at the Methodist Church and an active member and trustee of the Odd Fellows Lodge. He was married to Miss Sadie Jones on October 23, 1912. The couple had three daughters, Ruth, Claudean and Betty Jean.
The Central Dairy and Ice Cream Company was established in 1932 by Dot Sappington who served as president. His son Harry was vice-president, and his son-in-law, Eddie Tallent, secretary Treasurer. Mr. Sappington began working in the dairy business in 1905 and his children were virtually brought up in the business. He organized the Central Dairy in Columbia, which he operated until he organized the company here.
He was born in Cedar Township, Boone County, in 1878, coming of the same ancestral stock which produced the celebrated pioneer Doctor John Sappington of Saline County, the originator of quinine pills as treatment for malaria and ague who realized a fortune from that innovation. Dot Sappington married Lula Maupin of Boone County in 1902. They had seven children. Roy, who was with Central Dairy of Columbia, married Sue Alexander. Dorothy married Joe Holsinger and they lived in Dayton, Ohio. Harry, vice-president of Central Dairy, married Ruby Piper. Guy, a member of the faculty at the state university, married Virginia Strong. A. D. Sappington, a lawyer of Columbia, married Eddie Edmonston. Helen was the wife of Eddie Tallent. Spencer attended the University of Missouri.
Mrs. Sappington died in 1920, and the following year Mr. Sappington married Miss Bessie Pyle. They had a daughter, Rozalie. Mr. Sappingtonís father, Felix Sappington, married Eliza Nichols, daughter of a Boone County pioneer who with his twelve children settled in the same neighborhood as the Sappingtons.
Henry F. Sarman
The following five years he was with William Rose and then three years with Wendell Straub. In 1882 he began his own business manufacturing cigars and running a retail establishment. His first place of business was 218 East High Street and after a year he moved to 205 East High Street where he continued until 1896 when he purchased a building at 221 Madison.
Mr. Sarman was united in marriage March 17, 1880, to Miss Frances J. Read of Jefferson City, a daughter of G.W. Read, whose death left her an orphan in early childhood. She was adopted and reared by an uncle, Capt. J.T. Rogers of Jefferson City. The Sarmans had three children, Bessie, Mamie and Henry F. Jr., the youngest. Mr. Sarman was a member and one of the organizers of the first Christian Science Church, where he served as clerk.
He was also a member of the Cigar-makers Union and secretary of the local organization. He was one of the original members of the Single Tax League of Jefferson City, and a close student of the ideas advocated by Henry George on the subject of taxation. The family resided at 229 East Main Street.
Paul A. Schaefer
Paul A. Schaefer, son of Rev. Henry A.E. Schaefer and Martha Erck, was born in St. Louis, Missouri, September 23, 1888. He was educated in the parochial schools of St. Louis, taking business courses and shorthand, and a law course by mail of the American University of Los Angeles, California.
After holding a number of minor positions with business enterprises, he became connected with the Central Missouri Trust Company in 1903. He was elected assistant treasurer of that bank in 1911, and treasurer in 1918, and director in 1932. He also served as treasurer of Lincoln University. He was a member of the Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce, treasurer of the Jefferson City public library, treasurer for twenty-six years of the Trinity Lutheran Church. He was a charter member and president of the Jefferson City Kiwanis Club and chairman of the clubís Underprivileged Child Committee.
Paul A. Schaefer was untied in marriage to Miss Eleanor Tuegel of St. Louis September 7, 1911. To this union four children were born: Eleanor Ruth, Paul James, Ralph Henry and Irma Mae.
Earl F. Schaffner
Earl F. Schaffner founded Capital City Brick Company when he came to Jefferson City in 1928. He was born at Berger, Franklin County October 16, 1899, the son of Herman and Annie Danuser Schaffner. Herman Schaffner, whose parents came to Missouri prior to the Civil War, died in 1914 at the age of forty. His widow died in April 1938, at the age of sixty-five. Both were members of the Methodist Church. Both were natives of Franklin County and of Swiss ancestry.
E. F. Schaffner was married in 1925 to Miss Hedwig Engelbrecht, daughter of Ernst and Amanda Boeger Engelbrecht of Gasconade County. Her father, a leading citizen of his county, died in 1928 at the age of fifty-eight. Her mother lived in the town of Ray in Gasconade County. Mr. and Mrs. Schaffner had two children: James, born April 9, 1926 and David born August 26, 1936.
Mr. Schaffner attended Central Wesleyan College at Warrenton. Mrs. Schaffner was a graduate of the same college. He worked for the International Shoe Company at Herman for about five years, following which he was secretary and treasurer of the Oklahoma-Texas Refining Company. He left Oklahoma in 1927 to become general manager of the All-Locking Zinc Shingle Company in Gasconade County. The following year he organized Capital City Brick Company.
The companyís plant was located on Ten Mile Drive. In addition to bricks he also manufactured decorative and ornamental stone designed for fireplaces and various other uses.
John M. Schaper
John M. Schaper, Jefferson City architect, first began in business here in 1932. Among the public buildings that he planned were the county jail and sheriff residence, the remodeled city hall, the two fire station buildings, the penitentiary warehouse building and St. Petersí Selinger Center Auditorium-Gymnasium building. In addition to public schools and various types of commercial buildings he also designed numerous homes in central Missouri.
Mr. Schaper was born in Washington, Franklin County, June 3, 1902. After completing public school work in the town of Washington, he studied architecture at Washington University, St. Louis, after which he located in Washington, MO in 1930, coming here two years later. For a time he was associated with B. F. Olson, architect of Chicago. He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Lionsí Club and the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Schaper was the son of Judge Jesse H. Schaper, who was born near Troy in Lincoln County in 1865, the son of William and Julia Sandfes Schaper, both natives of Germany. Judge Schaper graduated from the state university school of law in 1892 and located in Washington for the practice of that profession. He married Jessie Martin, born at Union in 1869, daughter of Judge John R. and Mary Ackerman Martin, both being originally from New Brunswick, New Jersey. Judge Martin, a leading attorney, was appointed by Governor Fletcher to be the first probate judge of Franklin County. Mrs. Jessie Schaper was educated at Synodical College, Fulton, and taught in the public schools at Washington prior to her marriage.
In April 1919, John M. Schaper was married to Lucylle Frances Neher, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter P. Neher of Frankfort, Indiana. Mr. Neher was for many years an auditor for the Nickle Plate Railroad Company.
Peter J. Schell
Peter J. Schell was the son of Judge Simon N. Schell who was the son of Simon and Mary Laux Schell. Simon Schell was born in Bavaria in 1794, his wife in 1801. They immigrated to New York in 1831, thence to Virginia, thence to Ohio where Judge Simon N. Schell was born February 18, 1840. In 1841 the family came to Cole County. Simon Schell was a weaver, merchant and farmer, and while in the old country was a musician in the Bavarian army. He died in 1872, his wife in 1868.
Simon N. Schell married Miss Elizabeth Wankum in April 1863. Eleven children were born to them. Judge Schell was a farmer and for many years a merchant at St. Thomas where during his later years his sons were associated with him in business. He was a Democrat and served as district judge and as presiding judge of the county court of Cole County. He was a member of the Catholic Church, and served in the Home Guards in the Civil War. Judge Schell died at his home at St. Thomas in 1925, his wife in 1931.
Peter J. Schell was born at St. Thomas April 13, 1880. He attended school at St. Thomas and St. Elizabeth, attended the St. Louis Commercial College and the Kunkel Conservatory of Music. During his youth he was in the store at St. Thomas with his father.
In 1904 he was appointed deputy county collector under Sam Sone, and served four years in that office. In 1908 he was elected county treasurer of Cole County and held that office for eight years. Meanwhile about 1909 he had started a music store, which for about two years was conducted in partnership with Leo Holtschneider. In 1911 the Schell and Sons Trading Co. of St. Thomas acquired the interest of Leo Holtschneider, and the partnership of the Schell Music Co. was established with Mr. Schell as manager, and was conducted under his management until 1933, when he acquired the interests of his brothers, and carried on the business, assisted by his wife, under the original name of Schell Music Co.
Peter J. Schell was married in 1930 to Miss Nora L. Vossen, a native of Osage County, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Vossen. In addition to his other business activities Mr. Schell taught music and tuned pianos. The store was located at the corner of Jefferson and Dunklin streets.
Ferdinand Schleer was born July 18, 1833 in Baden Germany. His parents were Joseph and Mary A. (Weiss) Schleer who were natives of Baden. His education was in the schools of his native town. After his fatherís death his mother married George F. Weiser.
Mr. Schleer immigrated to America in 1857, coming directly to Jefferson City, his stepfather being a rebel and fugitive on account of the insurrection in Baden in 1852, preceded him and later died in 1859.
In June, after his arrival here, he learned the tinnerís trade, working as an apprentice for three years with Andraes Gundelfinger in different shops. After working a few months with F.W. Mayer he went to St. Louis, working at his trade from 1863 until 1868, when he returned to Jefferson City where he worked for F.W. Mayer for two years. In 1871 he engaged in the hardware business in partnership with George Watts, under the firm name of Watts & Schleer, continuing until 1879 when Mr. Schleer purchased his parternís interest. He served in the Home Guards for three months under Major W.H. Lusk of this city. He was a member of St. Peterís Church.
Mr. Schleer was married July 2, 1865 to Miss Katherine Boumgard. She died July 24, 1873, leaving a daughter, Bettie, who also died December 28, 1899. He again married in 1876 to Miss Emma Weager and six children were born of this union: Joseph, Ferdinand Jr., Julius, Sophia, Clara and Morris. The family resided at 213 West Dunklin Street.
John J. Schmidt
John J. Schmidt owned and operated a shoe store at 124 East Dunklin Street. His father, John Conrad Schmidt, born October 9, 1857, was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Schmidt, pioneer German immigrants to this city. He was a harness maker and merchant and conducted a retail shoe store and repair shop at 124 East Dunklin for thirty eight years prior to his death on March 10, 1935. He was married to Louise Weiss, a native of Franklin County and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Weiss, immigrants from Germany. Mrs. John C. Schmidt was born in 1858 at Pacific and died in 1885.
John J. Schmidt was born in Jefferson City April 10, 1884. He attended the Lutheran parochial school and the Jefferson City public schools. He was married February 29, 1916, to Miss Blanche E. Pruett, a native of Pulaski County, Virginia.
George Schneider, of Schneider Brothers-Russellville Hotel, was born on a farm near Taos on May 12, 1857, where he was raised. He engaged in farming near Shipley Shoals for five years then purchased a farm near Brazito.
He associated with his brother, Louis, in the hotel business at Russellville in April 1898, where he made his home, renting the Brazito farm property. He was married March 13, 1887, to Miss Katie Schubert, sister of M. Schubert, President of the Schubert-Weyler Mercantile Company of Russellville. He had three children: Albert, Mary and John.
The hotel building was 50 by 86 feet, two stories with the front being of St. Louis pressed brick. It was opened to the public April 2, 1898, and receipts on that date were nearly $200.
Mr. Schneider was married July 4, 1899 to Mrs. Katie Schneider.
Herbert Schubert was a descendant of the pioneer family for whom the town of Schubert was named. His great-grandfather, Lorenz Schubert, a native of Germany came to this county as a young man, acquired land in eastern Cole County and later established a store, operating both farm and store. He married a Wagner, a member of the family which operated a brewery while the county was still young.
George, the son of Lorenz Schubert, was born on his fatherís homestead in the 1840s. He spent his life in this community, dying at the age of sixty-seven. His wifeís maiden name was Weith. George Schubert also farmed and operated the store. The latter was located on a natural arterial highway eight miles east of Jefferson City and the St. Louis state line ran by its door. Other houses were later built here forming the town of Schubert.
Martin Schubert, son of George Schubert, was born on his fatherís farm June 30, 1871. He too spent his life in this community, a farmer and merchant, passing away February 4, 1938. He was married to Emma Wilferth, a native of this county and the daughter of Nicholas and Mary Wilferth. Mrs. Schubertís father was a native of Cole County and her mother was born in Ohio.
Herbert Schubert was a representative of the American Agricultural Chemical Company with headquarters in Kansas City. He was the second of the four children of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Schubert. The other children were Martha, Charles and George.
He moved to Russellville in 1895 where he was one of the organizers of the Russellville Exchange Bank, where he was cashier for two years. He was also engaged in the furniture and hardware business, which assumed such proportions that he resigned his bank position in order to give his whole attention to the business. In 1897, in order to accommodate the stock for his increasing business, he extended his store building. In the fall of 1898 Mr. Weiler, who later became associated with him in the business, rented one of his store rooms and engaged in the general dry goods business. The association and observation resulting from their close business relations developed a mutual respect and confidence which resulted in their uniting their mercantile interests and incorporating under the name of the Schubert-Weiler Mercantile Company. This became recognized as the largest and best appointed department store in the county.
Mr. Schubert was married September 29, 1899, to Miss Mary, daughter of Martin and Katherine Schneider of Taos. They had one daughter, Frieda; Mary died in 1893. He then married Miss Emma Kautsch of Lohman on May 11, 1897 and they had three sons, Almer, Hugo and Clarence, and one daughter, Nelde. Mr. Schubert was a member of the M.W.A. and the Lutheran Church. The family resided in Russellville.
J. Herman Schulte
J. Herman Schulte, a native of Jefferson City, operated a grocery store at 700 East McCarty. His parents were early pioneers of Cole County. His father, Henry H. Schulte, was born in Taos October 25, 1848 and in 1875 moved to Jefferson City where he became connected with the G. H. Dulle Milling Company. H remained with that company more than forty years. Henry H. Schulte was married to Kathryn Brand who was born on a farm near Taos, May 15, 1851. She died December 6, 1887, her husband June 10, 1919. Henry Schulte was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Henry Schulte, natives of Hanover, Germany.
J. H. Schulte was born August 19, 1878. He attended St. Peterís school, and when through school worked as delivery boy and clerk in a grocery store. October 18, 1902 he went into the grocery business for himself at the junction of McCarty and Lafayette streets.
Mr. Schulte was married to Miss Emma A. Clibourn on June 11, 1901. They had three children: Dr. Clibourn H. Schulte, born December 14, 1903; Adolph H., born September 16, 1905, and Cecil F. Schulte who was born June 14, 1907. Mrs. Schulte also came from a pioneer Cole County family. Her father, Charles Clibourn, was born in this county November 18, 1842, and died December 24, 1918. Her mother, whose maiden name was Ella Pratt, was born at Aurora, Illinois, March 1, 1850, and died December 23, 1915. (see sketch of Clibourn Family).
John W. Schulte
He continued on the farm until he was twenty-four, when he entered his step-fatherís business, Dulle Milling Company. He acquired the knowledge and skills necessary to manage the business. When G. H. Dulle died in 1885, the business was incorporated and John became one of the principal stockholders, Secretary, Treasurer and General Manager.
April 21, 1868, Mr. Schulte was united in marriage to Miss Agnes, daughter of Peter and Marie Theresa Reisdorff, whose home was near Lohman. Surviving children of this union were Gerhard Herman , Theresa Agnes (wife of Thomas F. Roach), Clara Louise and Marie Pauline. Three other children born to Mr. and Mrs Schulte, two girls and one boy, died in infancy.
Mr. Schulte was a member of St. Peterís Catholic Church. In addition to his milling interests, he was a stockholder and Director and Vice President of the Bockrath Shoe Company. The family lived at 221 West High Street.
Carl F. Schultz
Carl F. Schultz, native of Jefferson City and a son of a pioneer merchant, was born February 22, 1885. In 1900 he went to work for the Priesmeyer Shoe Company which later became Tweedie Footwear Corporation. Two years later he was employed by the Central Missouri Trust Company, and in 1905 by the DeWyl drug store, one of Jefferson Cityís oldest concerns. In 1909 he passed the test of the state board of pharmacy.
In 1923 Mr. Schultz became a partner in the business with Henry DeWyl, his uncle. The store was established about 1862 by Mr. DeWylís father, who was an officer of the Union army. Mr. Schultzís father erected the building the store occupied. He built it as a grocery and residence; Carl Schultz was born in this residence.
He was a director of the Chamber of Commerce, president of the Kiwanis Club, Worshipful Master of the Masonic Lodge, member of Odd Fellows, president of the Boy Scout Executive Board. He was a member of the Christian Church. He took an active interest in agriculture through membership in the Farm Bureau and was chairman of the agricultural committee of the Chamber of Commerce and the Kiwanis Club.
Theodore E. Schultz, father of Carl F. Schultz, was born in Berlin, October 4, 1843. Coming to America at the age of fourteen, he settled in Orville, Ohio. He came to Missouri before the Civil War and engaged in the general mercantile business until the war broke out when he enlisted in Company H, Forty-eighth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. When the war was over he resumed his mercantile business, first at Marion and later in Jefferson City where he conducted a grocery. October 10, 1883, he married Miss Anna S. DeWyl. Three sons were born to them, Carl F., Otto T. and Paul J. Schultz. Theodore, who died October 23, 1910, was the son of Edward T. Schultz, born in Prussia, June 8, 1819, died in Kansas City, March 26, 1901. Edward T. Schultz married Johanna Stolle, born at Koethen, Germany December 1, 1816, died about 1880 in Camden County.
Anna DeWyl Schultz was born at Osage Bluff, Cole County, April 2, 1859, and died March 12, 1927. She was the daughter of Dr. Nicholas DeWyl, who was a pioneer doctor, druggist and merchant of this county and city. He was born July 9, 1830, in Achen, Prussia and died in Jefferson City December 23, 1905. His wife was Josephine Kallenbacher, born in Baden Germany July 21, 1835, died in Jefferson City March 12, 1897.
Carl F. Schultz was married to Miss Mabel Cruzen of Warrensburg June 8, 1910. They had two children. Helen Louise graduated from the state university in 1935 and February 20, 1937, married William P. Barnett. Richard DeWyl Schultz graduated from Washington University in St. Louis in 1938.
Mrs. Schultz was the daughter of George Richard Cruzen, born at Harperís Ferry, Virginia, November 18, 1844, died June 8, 1936. He was a son of Richard Richardson Cruzen and Arelia Wayne North. He married Lucinda Mildred Elder of Richmond, Kentucky, daughter of John Miles and Emily Moore Elder. She was born July 31, 1849 and died November 20, 1911.
Cliff G. Scruggs
Cliff G. Scruggs of the Scruggs-Guhleman Lumber Company was born in Jefferson City April 1, 1886 about a hundred feet from the corner of High and Monroe streets. As a boy he carried newspapers for an agency owned by Mrs. May Corwin. Graduating from high school in 1903, he at once secured a job with the Philipp Ott and Son Lumber Company for which he worked until 1918.
In 1918 he formed a corporation and purchased the lumber business of the George D. Hope Lumber Company of Kansas City located at the southeast corner of Jefferson and McCarty streets. The firm grew and established yards in Linn and Freeburg, Missouri.
Mr. Scruggs served four years as president of the Chamber of Commerce and eighteen years on its board of directors. He was president of the Rotary, president of the Capital City Highway Bridge Company, director of the Southwest Lumbermenís Association and president of the Central Missouri Lumber Dealersí Association.
Mr. Scruggs was the son of William H. and Josephine B. Scruggs. His father, who was born and reared near Jefferson City, worked for forty years as a conductor for the Missouri Pacific Railroad. He died in 1919 at the age of sixty. His mother, whose parents were John W. and Ada Stone, long time residents of Cole County, died in 1907 at the age of forty-five. His paternal grandfather was Marshall Scruggs, who was killed in action at Nashville, Tennessee while serving as a cavalry officer in the Confederate army. His paternal grandmother was Rebecca Maus whose father emigrated from Germany with Carl Schurz.
Mr. Scruggs was married in 1915 to Miss Margaret Nacy, daughter of Thomas and Mary Nacy. Thomas Nacy came to Jefferson City about fifty years ago and was one of the pioneers in establishing the shoe manufacturing business in the penitentiary for the Geisecke Shoe Manufacturing Company. He came originally from Canada by way of Chicago. Mrs. Nacy was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Parkersburg, West Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Scruggs had two children. Virginia Mary graduated from Fontbonne College in St. Louis. John Clifford attended St. Peterís High School. Mr. Scruggs had a brother, John M. Scruggs, and a sister, Mrs. Stella M. Fogg, both of whom lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Miss Mathilda Dallmeyer Shelden
Mrs. Mathilde Dallmeyer Shelden was born and reared in Jefferson City, daughter of Louise Schmidt and Rudolph Dallmeyer. Her maternal grandparents settled here in 1838 her grandfather, Frank Schmidt having a prominent part in the development of the city. Some of the largest buildings, including the Madison Hotel and stores at 206, 208 and 210 East High Street and an office building known as the Dallmeyer Building were built by him. Mrs. Sheldenís father (see Dallmeyer sketch), was an ardent booster for Jefferson City and served many years in various civic organizations.
Miss Dallmeyer attended National Park Seminary at Washington, D.C. for two years after leaving the Jefferson City High School. For some years she served as president of the Art Club of Jefferson City of which she was a charter member. On her return from boarding school she was elected secretary of the Provident Association. Always an active member of the Presbyterian Church, she served as both treasurer and president of the Womenís Guild, and was on the board of trustees at the time of her marriage.
She was a pioneer in the suffrage movement in the state, and was delegate to the first national conference of Republicans in Washington, D.C. to which women were invited in 1919. She was vice-president of the Republican Clubs of Missouri and a member of the first Republican committees, state and county, that had women members.
Mathilda Dallmeyer, was united in marriage July 7, 1920, to Dr. Frank Elwin Shelden of Kansas City, Missouri. They had a son, Russell Dallmeyer Shelden born in 1921. From 1908 the family resided in Kansas where Doctor Shelden practiced orthodontia.
Andrew Jackson Shockley
Andrew Jackson Shockley was born on a farm near Milan, Ripley County, Indiana, March 12, 1834. He was raised and educated there. When twenty-one years of age he came to Linn Creek, Camden County, where he was employed by former Governor McClurg as a cooper until 1861, when he returned to Indiana where he remained for three years, engaged in farming.
He returned to Missouri in 1867, renting a farm in the river bottom near Carrollton, where he continued until 1869 when he moved to DeWitt, engaging in the livery and implement business. Disposing of his interests in 1875, he moved to Jefferson City where he engaged in the hardware business, the firm being Shockley & Wilson.
In 1878 he purchased the interest of his partner and continued the business until 1881, when he disposed of his stock of hardware and purchased a farm near Jefferson City. After three years he returned to Jefferson City and again engaged in the hardware business. Disposing of his stock in 1886, he moved to Carrollton, MO where he continued in the hardware business until 1892. He returned to Jefferson City and continued in the same business until July 1899.
Mr. Shockley was married December 28, 1860, to Miss Rebecca Tipton of Camden County who died 23 years later, leaving one daughter, Minnie Shockley who was a teacher in the public schools of Jefferson City. In 1885, Mr. Shockley married Miss Laura, daughter of Maj. J.B. Ruthven of Cole County. Their three children were Ruthven, Nola and Lee Johnston.
Mr. Shockley was a member of the Baptist Church. During the administration of Governors Crittenden and Marmaduke he was door-keeper of the Senate. He sold his home on East High Street around 1900 and moved his family to Joplin, Jasper County, MO.
Alfred C. Shoup
In 1870 he entered the office of the Peopleís Tribune as an apprentice, the proprietors at that time being Regan & Howes. He was promoted to the position of foreman of the job department in 1872 where he continued until 1884, when Mr. Henry W. Ewing purchased a controlling interest in the Tribune Printing Company. Mr. Ewing promoted him to Business Manager of the entire plant, which included in its scope the Daily and Weekly Tribune. When Mr. Ewing died, changes occurred in the company. On June 1, 1899, in connection with others, most of whom were associated with him at the Tribune, he organized the Press Printing Company, of which he was President and Business Manager.
327 E. Dunklin St.
He was married December 6, 1882, to Miss Emma, daughter of Mrs. Louisa C. Murrain of Linneus, Linn County, MO. They became the parents of four children: Estelle M., Claude H. and Hermia surviving. Ralph was drowned in a pool August 4, 1896 at the age of 8. The familyís home was at the corner of Dunklin and Adams streets.
Henry William Sieling
He continued this work until 1896 when he became a stockholder of the R. Dallmeyer Dry Goods Co. and secretary of the corporation. He continued until 1898 when Mr. Dallmeyer moved his store location. Henry disposed of his interest in the R. Dallmeyer Dry Goods Co. and organized the Sieling-Brenneisen Dry Goods Company with his brother and Mr. John Brenneisen. They did a prosperous business until January 1900 when, after a disastrous fire, Mr. Brenneisen disposed of his interest to Miss Ida Grieshammer, who became Secretary.
After adjusting their losses with the insurance companies the firm of Sieling-Brenneisen Dry Goods Co. was changed to the Sieling Dry Goods Co., with increase of capital stock to fifteen thousand dollars. Mr. Sieling continued as President and Treasurer, his brother, Arthur Sieling of St. Louis, Vice-President.
Henry Sieling was married January 5, 1895, to Miss Lulu, daughter of Clark Guffy, a Cole County Farmer. She was the grand-daughter of Capt. William H. Bradbury for many years Warden of the penitentiary and niece of Thomas Bradbury who was Deputy Warden in 1900.
In 1900 he lived at 816 East High Street with his wife and two children, Mary Frances and Arthur Price.
He worked for short periods for some machine manufacturing firms of the East in the capacity of machinist, with a view toward gaining more knowledge of the ways of his adopted country. In 1882 he engaged as mechanical draftsman with the Bridgeport Machine Tool Works at Bridgeport CT. He held this position for two years before he was made general superintendent of the works. He resigned in 1888 to accept a job as general superintendent of the Ingersoll-Sergeant Rock Drill Co., of New York. He remained until May 1, 1889, when he made a trip to Europe where he visited his native home and attended the Paris Exposition, returning to America the following October.
He came to Jefferson City in 1889 and purchased what was known as the Jefferson City Foundry, and continued the business under the name of the Simonsen-Walther Mfg. Co. In January 1894, he engaged with Mr. P.H. Loethen in scientific heating under the firm name of Jefferson Heating Co., doing a general hot water and steam heating business, managing both companies until 1898, when he disposed of the foundry business in order to give more attention to heating contracting. Among their many important contracts were the Cole County Court House, Gasconade County Court House, four buildings of the Lincoln Institute, Missouri Pacific Passenger Station, State Armory, Exchange Bank, Dallmeyer Building, Realty Building and a number of private residences, also Eitzenís building in California, MO.
Mr. Simonsen was a Republican, but not active in politics. He was a member of the Commercial Club where he served as President from 1897-1898; was director and Vice-President of the Capital City Building and Loan Association; director of the Jefferson City Bridge and Transit Company. He became a Mason in Sweden in 1880 where he maintained his membership in St. John Lodge ďOscarĒ in Halmstad, and was a member of the Jefferson City Royal Arch Chapter, No. 34, Jerusalem Council, No. 16, Royal and Select Masters of Bridgeport, CT, Prince of Peace Commandery, No. 29, Knights Templar; also a 32-degree Scottish Rite Mason, belonging to the Lafayette Consistory of Bridgeport, CT.
He resided at the City Hotel. November 30, 1903, he married Fredrica DeWye.
Mr. Daniel Albert Slanker was born May 23, 1887, in Jefferson City. He was the fourth child of Daniel A. and Mary E. Holzer Slanker. He was educated in the public schools of this city.
At the age of fifteen, Mr. Slanker started as a gas fitting helper for the Jefferson City Light, Heat and Power Company. Later, in 1903, he went to work for H. A. Jeffries, plumbing and heating contractor of Jefferson City. During World War I he was at the ammunition plant in Old Hickory, Tennessee, and after the signing of the armistice, he was assigned to civil service for three years at that plant.
He was a member of the Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce, a Rotarian, an Elk, a Knight of Macabees, and a member of the Chums, a social and good fellowship club. He was baptized and confirmed in the Central Evangelical Church. He was unmarried and lived at the Madison Hotel in Jefferson City.
His father, Daniel A. Slanker Sr. was a stationary engineer by trade and at one time served as street commissioner of Jefferson City. He was a member of the Jefferson City band when it was at its height, and a member of the orchestra that played when dance clubs were so popular in Jefferson City. He was born in Pennsylvania, the son of Daniel and Ellen Leonard Slanker. The father was of Pennsylvania Dutch descent, and the mother of French descent. Mr. Daniel A. Slanker Sr. passed away on January 1, 1910.
The mother of Mr. D. A. Slanker, Jr., was the eldest child of Urs and Magdalena Holzer, nee Emch. Her parents were born in Switzerland, married there and came to the United States, settling in Ohio and later moving to California, Missouri, on a farm. Mrs. Slanker passed away October 13, 1926.
Mr. Slanker, Jr. was one of seven children: Mrs. Ida Burkhardt, Mrs. Esther Stanford, Mrs. Marie Griffin, all of Jefferson City; and Mrs. Rose Nelson of Kansas City. His eldest brother, Otto, passed away February 9, 1938. Otto for many years was owner of the Slanker Plumbing and heating establishment in Jefferson City, Which D.A. Slanker, Jr. purchased from Otto when his health began failing in 1931.
The youngest brother, Emmet, passed away in 1913, and was a page in the House of Representatives for several terms, and later traveled over the state as a member of a vocal quartette for the nomination of Mr. J. A. Houchin for Governor.
Henry Marion Smith
At the age of 22, Henry bought a farm three miles east of his motherís home. He farmed here for seven years and when his brothers and sisters married and left home, he sold this farm and purchased the old home where he farmed and dealt largely in livestock.
He was married January 16, 1870, to Miss Mary J., daughter of William Reavis, a farmer of Cole County. Of the children born to this union, James Carney Smith became a prominent farmer and stock dealer, living near his father; Laura was the wife of Alonza Hendly, also a farmer in the same neighborhood; Miss Leona died at the age of nineteen. Arthur and Willie assisted their father on the farm.
Judge Smith was a member and deacon of the Baptist Church at Hickory Hill. He was elected district judge in 1886, serving one term and was fourteen years a justice of the peace of Clark Township. He served as a road overseer several hears and was a school director virtually all of his life. In 1898 he was elected presiding judge of Cole County. He was an active and influential Democrat of Cole County.
Roger V. Smith
Roger V. Smith was born in Moniteau County August 1, 1896. His boyhood home was between Jamestown and Lupus, near where his ancestors of the Hudson, Moore, Vivion, Pettigrew, Boggs and Harris families lived in the early 1800s. Some of them were in the little band which formed the first settlement in Cole County. He was the son of Joe N. Smith, who was born November 19, 1870, and died March 17, 1925. His mother, Alice E. Hudson Smith, was born July 30, 1878. Her people came to that neighborhood in the early 1800s. Mr. Smithís ancestors came to this country from Kentucky, Virginia and North Carolina.
After attending grade school in Moniteau County, Mr. Smith attended high school in the cities of California and Jefferson City. His professional training was acquired in the state teachersí college at Warrensburg and Cape Giradeau and in the state university. Prior to his election as county school superintendent, he was superintendent of the Centertown School for three years, two years at Fortescue, Holt County and a year at Russellville. Mr. Smith was interested in athletics and sports. He was a member of the American Legion, the Masonic Lodge and the Baptist Church.
John J. Sommerer
Being a delegate to the Republican County Convention which met in Jefferson City in 1894, he was nominated and elected to the office of Probate Judge, and re-elected in 1898. Judge Sommerer was Justice of the Peace for about sixteen years, and during that time acquired the necessary legal qualifications for the Judgeís position. He was also School Commissioner of the county three successive terms.
He was united in marriage April 6, 1874, to Miss Katherina, the daughter of Jacob Miller, a Cole County farmer. They had two children, George J. and Octavia. The family lived at 207 Monroe Street.
John M. Sommerer
At the age of twenty (1891), he came to Jefferson City where he worked for two years as a clerk for T.E. Schultz, a grocery merchant. He then went to work in 1893 as a steward at the United States Government works where he continued until it was shut down. After spending a short time at his parentís home, he returned to Jefferson City and was employed for one year as a clerk for John Stuart, a grocery merchant on the corner of Lafayette and High streets. He then worked for Lawrence Wagner until 1896 when he, in connection with his partner, Mr. Bassman, purchased the business of Mr. Wagner and changed the name to Sommer & Bassman Grocers.
Mr. Sommerer was united in marriage October 1, 1896, to Miss Emma Schaefer of Jefferson City. She died March 29, 1898 and their infant daughter, Emma, survived the mother only a few months. John married Lillian Mary Eckles April 15, 1916, and had a son, John M. The family resided at 826 East High Street.
Mr. Sommerer was a member of the Trinity Lutheran Church. In addition to his interest in the grocery store, he was a stockholder in the Jefferson City Building and Loan Association.
Dr. James Franklin Son
He was united in marriage June 7, 1893 to Miss Emma, daughter of B.F. Bradford, a farmer near High Point in Moniteau County. To this union was born two sons, Edgar E. and Landon F. and twin daughters, Madge and Marie.
Dr. Son was a member of the AF & AM and also the MWA of Russellville. He was a member of the M.E. Church South.
Samuel H. Sone
He was united in marriage on August 10, 1876, to Miss Lena Hauenstein of Tuscumbia, after which he engaged in farming. When his wife died a year later, he engaged in the livery business in Tuscumbia for three years when he got into the real estate business in Aurora Springs. He then moved to Kansas City where he stayed awhile then came back to the Cole County home of his early life. Here he was deputy sheriff four years under T.B. Mahan, four years under F. J. Fromme. In 1894 he was elected to the office of sheriff and re-elected in 1896. At the expiration of the second term he moved to his farm west of the city.
He had a son by his first marriage. Mr. Sone married a second time to Mrs. Elizabeth Jenkins (nee Stone) a grand-daughter of the Rev. John West, minister of the Old School Baptist Church. As a result of this union he had four daughters. The family lived at 1400 West Main Street.
W. A. Stark
Mr. Stark was married at the age of eighteen to Miss Rosa, daughter of B.S. Enloe, a farmer near Decatur. This union was blessed with eight children, four boys and four girls. The eldest was Ezera and the youngest were twins Ernest and Inez. They lived on the family farm near Russellville.
He was a member of the AF & AM and the MWA of Russellville, and also of Mt. Olive Batist Church where he served as deacon.
Walter H. Steininger
Walter H. Steininger was born in Jefferson City January 5, 1885. His parents were Jacob and Elizabt Guenther Steininger. Jacob Steininger was born in Germany in 1832. At the age of six he came to America with his parents, his father having been a participant in the attempted revolution in that country which led to exile and gave America many of its best citizens. Jacob Steiningerís father was a farmer and owned a large acreage southwest of Jefferson City. Jacob served in the Union army as captain of home guards during the Civil War. For the greater part of his adult life he was employed in the office of the G. H. Dulle Milling Company. He died in 1899. His widow, a native of this city, was the daughter of John and Margaret Guenther of Pennsylvania origin. She died in 1936 at the age of ninety-four.
Prior to entering the insurance business, he was auditor for the local power and light company. He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, a Shriner in Masonry, and a member of the Elks Lodge. Mrs. Steininger, a native of Pennsylvania, was formerly Katheryn Estep Mansur. Ted, her son by her former marriage, attended Missouri University.
Edwin W. Stephens
He was a graduate of the University of Missouri and served as President of the Board of Curators. He was President of the Board of Commissioners of Missouri Insane Asylum No. 3, President of the Missouri Press Association, President of the National Editorial Association of the United States. He was Moderator of the Baptist General Association of Missouri and the father of four children.
Hugh Stephens was married June 19, 1901, to Miss Bessie Miller, daughter of Nick T. Miller and granddaughter of Phil T. Miller (see sketch) of a pioneer Jefferson City family. Their only child, Louisa Miller Stephens, was the wife of Carl J. Otto, attorney of Washington, Missouri.
Mr. Stephens was president of the Chamber of Commerce for six years. He was President of the Rotary Club and President of the Board of Curators of Stephens College, Columbia, which was named for his grandfather. He was chairman of the board of trustees of the Baptist Church and served as chairman of the Democratic City Committee.
Dr. James Stewart
Dr. James Stewart was born in Glasgow, Scotland, September 22, 1874, the son of Alexander and Mary McLean Stewart. Alexander Stewart, a stone cutter by trade, came to St. Louis in 1882, where he became a general contractor. His wife and their twelve children joined him the following year.
Upon finishing high school in St. Louis, James Stewart took up the study of medicine, graduating from Barnes Medical College in 1895. For a year he was an interne in the Marine Hospital. For twelve years he practiced at Holstein in Warren County. In 1898 he married Miss Laura Jasper. He was coroner of Warren County for four years and was local surgeon for the Missouri Kansas and Texas Railway.
In 1904 Dr. Stewart was elected to represent Warren County in the state legislature. He was chairman of the committee on public health, was author of the bill establishing a tuberculosis sanitarium at Mount Vernon, and was particularly active on measures affecting the public health.
Dr. Stewart was chairman of the Lexow committee which investigated St. Louis election frauds and irregularities. He was re-elected to the next general assembly but resigned, moving to St. Louis where he engaged in the practice of medicine. In 1910 he was made medical adviser of St. Louis public schools, and served until he came to Jefferson City in 1925 to become secretary of the state board of health, serving from 1925 to 1933. Through his efforts the notorious medical diploma mills were abolished.
Dr. Stewart was a member of the Caledonian Society of St. Louis, and a member of the local, state and American medical associations, a thirty-second degree Mason and Shriner. He had one daughter, Mrs. Myrtle Van Dyne.
Robert Price Stone
At the age of 20 Mr. Stone moved to La Monte in Pettis County where he was book-keeper in a general store for nine months. He then worked as a carpenter for about a year until he moved to Moniteau County to engage a short time in farming. October 31, 1888, he came to Jefferson City and resumed the work of carpenter.
In 1893 he was made Deputy City Marshall, which he resigned about 15 months later. He was elected Justice of the Peace in November 1894, and Police Judge in 1895, filling both offices for two years.
He was admitted to the bar in 1895 when he began the practice of law. In January 1899 he associated with Mr. Waldecker in the practice of law, the firm being Stone & Waldecker.
Mr. Stone united in marriage March 21, 1893 to Miss Mary Workover of Moniteau County. They had three daughters and made their home at 609 East McCarty Street.
William P. Stone
William P. Stone was born in Jefferson City September 5, 1883, the son of John W. and Mary E. Shadwick Stone. John W. Stone was born south of Jefferson City shortly before the beginning of the Civil War, and spent his entire life in this part of the state, dying in 1910. Mrs. John W. Stone was born near Russellville, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Shadwick.
John W. Stone, a farmer, carpenter and builder, moved to Jefferson City about 1900. He was the son of Jim Stone, a native of Kentucky, who homesteaded land south of here years prior to the Civil War, as did two of his brothers. The war caused an estrangement in this as in many other families. Jim Stoneís brothers adhered to the Union cause, and Union sentiment prevailed in his neighborhood. He was loyal to the Confederacy, left home and joined the Confederate army and was killed at Helena, Arkansas.
William Stone learned the carpenter trade as a youth. He worked as a carpenter for wages until the spring of 1912 when he went into business for himself as contractor, and from that date to 1933 he erected many buildings of various kinds. Meanwhile, in 1922, he had acquired an interest in the billiard parlor and lunch room on High Street. When the depression stopped virtually all building activity he retired from contracting and gave his personal attention to the business.
Mr. Stone was married on December 18, 1912, to Miss Mary Goodall. Mrs. Stone was a native of this city, the daughter of W. W. and Sarah Handley Goodall, natives of Cole County. Mr. and Mrs. Stone had three sons, Jack T., William Rupert and Richard Neal. It is interesting to note that Jefferson Cityís first modern apartment buildings, the Wymore Apartments, were constructed by Mr. Stone.
John B. Sturm
John Bernard Sturm was born in Jefferson City February 23, 1901, the son of Bernard H. and Mary Hatting Sturm, both natives of Cole County. His paternal grandparents, Andrew and Barbara Sturm of Bavaria, came to Cole County prior to the Civil War and established a home eight miles west of Jefferson City near Scruggs Station. Andrew Sturm died in 1914, his wife in 1924 at the age of ninety-two. Shortly before the close of the Civil War the Sturm farm was raided by Confederate soldiers but none of the livestock was taken. Andrew Sturm became an American citizen, was interested in civic affairs, and affiliated with the Democratic Party.
Bernard H. Sturm was reared on the old Sturm homestead and lived there until 1893 when he came to Jefferson City where he was employed in shoe manufacturing until he retired in 1927. His wife was the daughter of John B. Hatting, a Cole County pioneer. John Sturm was second in age of the four sons of Bernard H. and Mary Sturm. The eldest, George A. lived in Lawndale, California. The third son, Herman, was an employee of the Missouri Pacific Railway, and a resident of Jefferson City. The youngest, Henry, with the Prudential Insurance Company, was also a resident of this city.
John B. Sturm became collector of Jefferson City in 1927. He was educated in the Jefferson City parochial schools. From 1915 to 1917 he worked for the R. Dallmeyer Dry goods Company. He then entered the employ of the Hays Saddlery Company which operated under government supervision during World War I, manufacturing products for government use. After seven years service with the Hays Saddlery Company he became manager of a service station for Standard Oil Company, which he operated two years. He then became a salesman for the Moerschel Products Company with who he remained until after the city election of May 1927.
In 1927 Mr. Sturm was married to Miss Clotilda Dulle, daughter of Edward H. Dulle, a prominent businessman and grandson of the pioneer G. H. Dulle, who founded the Dulle Milling Company. Mrs. Sturmís mother was before her marriage Catherine Zuber, daughter of Victor Zuber of this city, a veteran of the Union army while his brother, Frank was a Confederate soldier.
Mr. Sturm was a member of the Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He was one of the leaders of the Democratic Party in this city.
Prof. John H. Sullens
Professor John Hunter Sullens was born near Brazito, Cole County, January 24, 1869, where he was reared, his early education being in the Centennial public school nearby. He later attended Hooper Institute at Clarksburg. In 1889 he began teaching school; his first engagement was at Russellville where he continued one year, since which time he taught at Lohman, Bass, Elston and Mt. Carmel. He was appointed School Commissioner of Cole County by Governor Stone, to which office he was re-elected.
August 26, 1891, he was untied in marriage to Dora D., daughter of Judge John Musick. This union was blessed with four children: Fern, Clyde who died in infancy, Clarence and Elsie Dean. (this information taken from a 1900 publication).
In 1892 Mr. Sullens bought a farm near Bass where he made his home. He and his wife were members of the Mt. Carmel M.E. Church (South). He was also a member of the State Teachersí Association.
Larry A. Sullivan
Larry A. Sullivan was born around 1900 northwest of Centertown in the neighborhood once known as ďLittle DublinĒ. In this neighborhood a colony of Irish settled and entered government land in the 1830s. His ancestors were members of this colony. His grandfather, Maurice Sullivan, born in the old country in 1839, served in the Confederate army in the Civil War. He died in 1911. Larry Sullivanís father was John D. Sullivan who died in 1935 at the age of sixty-nine, having spent his life as a farmer in the old home neighborhood in which he was born. John D. Sullivanís wife was the daughter of Pierce and Matilda Francis. Pierce Francis was also a soldier in the Confederate army.
At the age of fifteen Larry Sullivan left home, coming to Jefferson City to engage in electrical work. During the ensuing eighteen years, as an employee, he learned all branches of electrical work. In 1933 he went into business for himself. Mr. Sullivan was married in 1923 to Miss Edna Tanner, daughter of Herman Tanner (see sketch).
Dr. J. S. Summers
Dr. Joseph Stewart Summers was born on a farm at Wallace, Indiana, June 27, 1870. In 1881 he came to Daviess County, Missouri. He attended school at Jameson then went to William Jewell College where he received an A.B. degree. He received his A.M. and M. D. degrees at the state university. Before taking up the practice of medicine Dr. Summers taught at the University of Missouri and at Trenton.
Dr. Summers was a specialist in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. He was a member of the Cole County Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Society, the Kansas City Otolaryngology, Southern Medical, American Medical, North American Radiological Societies and of the American College of Surgeons. He was on the staff of St. Maryís Hospital and served as eye, ear, nose and throat doctor at the Missouri Penitentiary.
He was a member of the Baptist Church, Rotary Club, and Masonic Lodge. He took an active interest in Boy Scout work had held various local and national positions for that organization. Dr. Summers was the son of Andrew Jackson Summers who was born at Wallace, Indiana March 3, 1840 and died in Daviess County in 1912. A. J. Summersí wife was Anna Lyza Cunningham, born at Wallace, Indiana March 23, 1847, died February 27, 1929. All his grandparents were natives of Kentucky.
Dr. Summers was married to Miss Nettie Pickett on August 15, 1912. Their son, Joe Summers, born August 26, 1916, became a doctor specializing in radiology and practiced in Jefferson City. Mrs. Summers was the daughter of E. N. and Elizabeth keener Pickett and was a native of Grundy County. Two of her three brothers were physicians; Dr. Lee Pickett of Mercer County, Dr. Clarence Pickett of Mercer County and Kansas City. Her third brother was O. A. Pickett, formerly state senator from the Fourth District of Trenton.
Horace A. Swift
After leaving school, Mr. Swift worked in a wholesale notion store for two years. He later went to southern Ohio and worked for an uncle on a farm. From there he went to Portsmouth, Ohio where he spent three years learning brick masonry, teaching school in winter. He then went to Jackson, Ohio and engaged in contracting, being the contractor for the M.E. Church, a large mill, a block of store buildings and a number of private dwellings.
In 1855 he built a court house at McArthurs Town, Vinton County and later at Point Pleasant, VA. In the fall of 1856 he went to Keokuk, IA where he worked in the contracting business for two years before coming to Jefferson City May 26, 1858. In 1859 he built two additions to the Lunatic Asylum at Fulton, MO. He served a short time in the Home Militia during the Civil War.
Appointed warden of the Missouri Penitentiary by Governor Fletcher, January 4, 1865, he served four years. He also served eight years as Judge of the County Court.
He was married December 1857, at Oconomowoc, WI, to Miss Ada F. Jordan of North Adams, MA. To this union was born six children: Emma, Grace (the wife of W.S. Ferguson), Maude (the wife of E.E. Turner), Albert D., Ulysses (died at the age of 26), and Edison B. (died in infancy). The family lived on a farm in the south suburbs of Jefferson City.
Mr. Swift was a member of the M.E. Church, the AF & AM, and the AOUW.